[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Start of change of cell phone company attitudes??

Start of change of cell phone company attitudes??

For discussion on subjects that do not necessarily fit under any other category

Start of change of cell phone company attitudes??

Postby xavier » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:11 am

So now, if I understand it correctly, T-Mobil will allow you to bring your phone over, from another company. Will give you enough money to pay your contract termination fee and give you much lower prices!

Are we approaching the era where we won't have to be tied to cell phone companies by multi-year contracts? I hope so!
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Start of change of cell phone company attitudes??

Postby Gregory45 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:36 pm

There is probably a catch, somewhere ;-)
Gregory45
New User
New User

Postby artmart » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:37 pm

Actually, in this case, the CEO of T-mobile is quite the rogue and there is no catch. His goal is to gain as many new customers as possible and is willing to wait for the slow roll of profits as everyone switches who doesn't want a long term contract and is hoping you don't jump ship because their costs are lower and in that practice of you not going elsewhere means they don't need long term contracts but are getting them.

However, I'm still sticking with Verizon because it still runs better than the Sprint or T-mobile person next to me losing their connection when I'm still able to use mine. The only catch is that you might not like their service and then you'll just jump to a more expensive, higher availability service. I'd rather pay a little more for reliability. The long term contract to me is not as important, but at least it locks in the price. Don't pay too much attention to coverage maps because if T-mobile's map does not cover you, then it just roams to some other service that does. This is why other providers drop calls, I'm not sure the roaming is as bulletproof as it needs to be and I also wonder if the roamer will occassionally drop a call to make that other service look bad.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby xavier » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:55 am

Wanna start a thread, which cell phone provider is better? That would/should be a fun thread.
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:25 pm

What?! You don't know? Depending on your needs I already know the answer. There have been published surveys all the time and they have been saying the same things. But if you give me your credit card info, I will not only provide the answer now, but every month I can tell you what has (not) changed.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby xavier » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:03 pm

Aha, so you've been also, by those "web-published" surveys that purport to tell you what the best coverage is, eh? Not everything that appears on the web is true, you know ;-)

Seriously, though, each time I was ready to renew my cell phone contract, I looked at all those survey and company fluff and as far as I was concerned, the best carrier was different depending on "where" you were located and what part of the service you valued the most. Verizon got the best marks for coverage in many metropolitan areas, but also got bad marks for gauging customers when it came to data pricing. Sprint got the best marks for "family" pricing and free data, but not as good when it came to quality coverage, and so on...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:33 pm

I didn't say "web-pulblished", you did... I said "published" meaning I got much of my information from magazines where the reporter usually does real research, then writes up their findings, independently and not as biased by some web noid who sits on their butt spewing forth non-truths and non-facts who then puts it on some willing web-site for some easy money who probably gets endorsed by some cell company anyway.

Dude (I think you are a dude), please stop trying to change what I say in my posts. Historically, you are horrible at it.

But the best I can agree with is the real truth is in the experience. I use my Verizon Cell phone (been using them since about 1995) for my calls as I sit next to the person next to me (like my daughter or other relative who went with a cheaper service) and listen to them redial since they got their call dropped. I especially liked when they called me, the call is dropped and they try and blame me (yeah, right). Fortunately, what I've read in magazines match what I see in the real world. If I want less service I'll pay less, but I haven't since others have done so and I just remember their experiences. Verizon is expensive because their stuff works better than most. If only price is your concern then go with the lesser service. I also don't live or go to the places where the cheaper stuff works so that doesn't help me either, but may help someone else. Before I retired and the company paid for my services, even they tried other services (they also tried AT&T during the horror years) but eventually returned to Verizon. But their volume in units helped keep their prices down, but now being retired and with just me and the wife, it's pricey in comparison, but more importantly, it works when I need it and that's what's important to me and I'm willing to pay for that.

Kinda why I don't mind RVPNG2013 either. I get what I need in trip planning and tracking for my money. I don't give a rip for subjective ratings, and for that others try and look elsewhere or complain about it. But remember that the one-time price for the product is probably a bargain compared to whatever one pays for their cell phone provider every month.

Now about that credit card...
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Return to Miscellaneous Topics