[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - No more GPS tracking.....

No more GPS tracking.....

Discussion and information about RV Plan 'N' Go 2013, the RV Trip Planning program from UnderTow

Re: No more GPS tracking.....

Postby artmart » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:32 pm

Xavier, you're spewing again... In my past working life, I could write a book on how many times in my support years, we had to fix a problem that we didn't have, or couldn't see, but a customer saw. The major difference between you and me is I don't slam anyone first with spewing. Then expect them to help me after that. I guess in your case I should have not used the term "USB problem", I should have said "USB event" and turned out to be a "System Event". Sorry, I got you involved.

UnderTow did send me a patch and it seems to be working. This software ran all night on the old laptop system.

Here's what they suspected was the problem: "We suspect that the issue is a windows message that gets issued when the power changes… There is a Windows message called 'wmPowerBroadCast(var msg:tmessage)' and if the gps is running and that Windows message is issued, it shuts it off. This may be the culprit as it issues an internal “quickabort”. "

Basically, I did have something in my laptop causing this, and they didn't have systems in their shop that had the problem, but any software should be able to handle this "event". And with the patch, they now do. Yes, it was my laptop, and yes, they made it better, and yes, you still spew and talk . My system was NOT bad, it just events worse than others, but the software should still have handled it, which I believe they are now doing with this patch.

Now, I have some more Happy GPS-ing to do. :ugeek:
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby NoPatience » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:13 pm

It looks like you and Xavier go way back... I don't want to get involved int this, but I have to say that "most" companies wouldn't go through all that to correct something that may have not been directly related to their software. Having said that, the few companies that would and did, were the ones that cared about the customer, and you could tell that in their overall behavior toward him.
NoPatience
Casual User
Casual User

Postby artmart » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:04 pm

I guess you mean AOL, when it comes to fixing things that may be out of touch. :roll: As for Xavier, I have fun with him; met him here in this forum. :P

I really appreciate what UnderTow did in this case. They found a weakness in their software and were able to fix it sight unseen - they get a big ATTABOY for that one. I went through a lot because I didn't know as much as they did. Now I have a patched version I can take with me on my trip. Better yet, it gives my laptop a few more years of usefulness and now I also have a really big, new battery for it too.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby artmart » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:57 am

Well, it's time to close the book on this one. There was an issue, and UnderTow seems to have fixed it (via patch). The old laptop has been tracking now on its third solid day. I picked up the laptop with the GPS as it was tracking, put it in my truck and ran a few errands (on and off the inverter) and it never lost tracking. I was able to open and close the cover, and things started right back up (I have the system configured not to hibernate or sleep, no matter what), and it's still tracking as of this morning. I just have to remember to check battery power that it does not die on me, but at least I can plug in the power cable and unlike what used to happen, then tracking would not stop.

Funny, how I've had a couple suggestions to change the title, but I don't see the need, because like many who have posted something doesn't work, then someone in the forum corrects them, they don't change their title, I won't change this one for the same reason. In fact, if I was that wrong, I'd try and get this whole thing deleted. But in this case, all my postings got their problem solved and I am 100% happy with Undertow's software (unlike others who rely a lot more on the campground database way more than I do) because I'm getting what I need.

Speaking of campground database, there is a highly rated and popular campground in Texas that is not in the RVPNG database (I guess they didn't want to pay TL for the listing), but I'll post that where I'm supposed to.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby xavier » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:27 pm

artmart wrote:I guess you mean AOL, when it comes to fixing things that may be out of touch. :roll: As for Xavier, I have fun with him; met him here in this forum. :P

I m having fun with you, too.
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby LouSiampa » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:00 am

Art, are you going to report on your train trip, here? Sounds like fun taking a long train trip like that. I'm thinking of doing it one of these days :-)
LouSiampa
Casual User
Casual User

Postby artmart » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:19 pm

I wasn't planning on it but If I did, I'd use the appropriate topic area (Miscellaneous). However, I am still tracking on the old laptop. I did have one failure that nearly freaked me out. But I found the battery had gone dead (Doh!). Plugged back into the wall and things are still working.

We travel by train whenever possible. My wife HATES flying, so I've found ways to make the trip more interesting, like planning sidetrips, tracking progress and other things like that. There is actually a science to train travel and I could go on, but this ain't the place to do it.

Feel free to PM me, but after October 4, 2013, after we get back. Actually, during that time I will still be Internet-able with our 4G Hotspot.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby artmart » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:38 pm

On the Amtrak, using the patch with my GPS tracking and all has been not just good, but great. Currently, I am sitting at my window seat, tracking against the trip plan. Too bad trip planning only assumes vehicles on roads, and not the rails. No matter, there are plenty of parallel roads that the Trip planner used to each train stop, and the GPS pointer is showing the exact track we are on as we travel the rails. The reason I track is to monitor the actual time and place against, the route. We are averaging about 10 minutes late to all stops, but this is acceptable upon arrival in Chicago, Il, (from L.A., CA) as long as nothing gets too fouled up. We've been on Amtrak before where we were late by about 6 hours one time due to an electrical failure, and another time 1 hour late because we ran over a deer and the carcass tore up the underside of one of the engines.

I am also connected to the Internet with a 4G hotspot (currently operating in 3G mode), which is how I'm posting this now. With the Internet access, I am also using the weather feature. However, the weather is clear as a bell so the map is pretty boring; not a cloud in the sky where we are going.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Previous

Return to RV Plan 'N' Go 2013