[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Trip start time being ignored

Trip start time being ignored

Discussion and information about RV Plan 'N' Go 2013, the RV Trip Planning program from UnderTow

Trip start time being ignored

Postby Budd » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:16 pm

I found that building a trip and trying different stops/vias works nicely. I can disable the ones I don't want to use for a trial plan and then later, as things develop, enable them, again. I also delete the older entries before the place where we are now so that I can see the accumulated miles/times/days from this point, not the original starting point.

However, when I turn what was a stop into the starting point and set my trip preferences Start Time to something different, it seems to ignore it and just uses the original trip start time in building the route. Example: I normally start at 9:30am and this is when my original start time was set for the beginning of the trip. I am now 1000 miiles into the trip and tomorrow I need to get some new tires installled in the morning so I am not expecting to leave until about 12:00pm. I change the Trip Start time to 12:00pm and my other daily start times I leave at 9:30am and then Get Directions.

The plan that is built still shows me starting my travel tomorrow at 9:30 am but the trip preferences does say 12:00pm. It is just ignoring it during the calculation so it throws everything off from the beginning of the trip.
Budd
Active User
Active User

Re: Trip start time being ignored

Postby Camper22 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:47 pm

Hmm, I do similar things all the time and haven't seen this. It could be that I didn't understand what you are doing and I am doing something different. Is this similar to what you are doing?

Create a trip with (let's say) 10 stop points. You set the trip start time to 9:30 and the start travel time for each day to 9:00. You get directions and start driving. Let's say 1000 miles into your trip (stop point 4), you decide that you want to start traveling *from* stop point 4 at 12:00. so, you delete the first 3 points (so the original point #4 is now #1), set the start trip time to 12:00, get directions but the trip starts at 9:00 ?

Did I understand what you are doing correctly?
Camper22
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby paulct » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:31 am

Did you check to box to apply changes to all points?
Paul C.T.
paulct
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby artmart » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:06 pm

Whoops... I didn't save my post, I tried to provide an answer yesterday. Let me try again with something else to try, similar to what Camper22 recommended, but without deleting any prior Waypoints.

Click on the waypoint where you want to start the new trip at a different time. A clock will show up to the right of that row. Click on the clock and a new window shows up. Put the start time in the appropriate box and then click on "Ok". This changes the start time for that way point only and preserves the rest of them.

Camper22, I use this method because when I towed for a living I used the past trip plans to preserve how many miles I had driven between the waypoints and couldn't delete any waypoints for record sake. In my case waypoints would adjust to the new stop times that were affected by the First Waypoint's start time of the day.

Too bad that by the time Budd reads this he won't need it for this time, but hopefully there's a next time for this to try.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Budd » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:00 am

Sorry for the delayed return. Been traveling, having blowouts and a cranky truck electrical system.

Yes, Camper22, and I think this is where the problem is caused. If I do not check the apply to all waypoints box, it works correctly. With the box checked, it overrides the starting point start time, too.

Now, about the only reason I do this is because I really need to know how far places are from wherever I am staying or are going to stay and I really would rather not have to delete all the previous places just to get this to happen. I would like to be able, once the trip is completed, to have the whole route still in tact as we actually travelled it.

Yes, I can set a different start time for a specific place and I do that occasionally, like when planning to visit someone for a few hours or stop at a landmark, like Devil's Tower to take a short hike. One of the most useful things to me about RVPNG is being able to just pause my cursor on a spot on the route and see how far that is from..... the beginning!???? I would rather be able to tag a location as the origin on which to base these calculations and be able to move it without altering my actual route points.

This would make it possible when working out the following segments, to not have to have a real starting point.

I don't plan from start to finish, in part, because some things along the way are time critical.. I have to be there on a certain date and time. Trying to figure how far things are apart to get there next wednesday at 2pm is hard since most of the plans are based on miles between specific places. The other places are add-ins as I need to make the scheduled spots. Being able to pick one of these fixed stops as an origin, then work beyond that to the next one, lets me flesh out that part of the route without having to have what comes before it already all nailed down.
Budd
Active User
Active User

Return to RV Plan 'N' Go 2013