[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Show web misdirects to undertow website

Show web misdirects to undertow website

Discussion and information about RV Plan 'N' Go 2013, the RV Trip Planning program from UnderTow

Show web misdirects to undertow website

Postby Guffeyite » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:43 am

On some campgrounds with web sites listed in their info will not display their website when "Show web" is clicked but I get sent to the Undertow website. There doesn't seem to be a way to copy and paste a listed website so I can go to my browser when this happens. I have to type the website in manually on my browser address bar.
Guffeyite
New User
New User

Re: Show web misdirects to undertow website

Postby Skataila » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:53 am

Yeah the web link thingy is not working. I've called undertow last week and let them know. They are aware of it and have a fix apparently to be released any day now. It's actually really weird, because it seems like sometimes it works, depending on what the immediately prior action was. Go figure.
"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Skataila
Active User
Active User

Postby paulct » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:29 am

Very weird, Skataila, I noticed the same thing. Most of the time the links don't work, but then, sometimes they do. It's been driving me crazy, because I can't find a pattern. But, I will, there has to be some sequence that cause it to work or not work.
Paul C.T.
paulct
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby Guffeyite » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:00 am

I'm no programmer but in future editions, it might be worthwhile to eliminate the "show web" tab and just make the campground website address a hyperlink. Just click on it to go there.
Guffeyite
New User
New User

Postby artmart » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:46 pm

How about when it works, you get something different than the link provided.

For example, I have been using Lake Skinner (in Temecula, Riverside County, CA) as an example. It has a "Show Web" tab that when I click on it, goes to a website for the Temecula Wine Country (TWC) and not anything about Lake Skinner. Living in the area, TWC is a commercial site looking for your dollars to participate in the local winery tours, balloon rides and lots of other stuff not having to do with Lake Skinner. I was expecting to get to a web page for Lake Skinner and got a website talking about the area, things to do, OTHER RV parks, and not Lake Skinner. Hmmmm, really?

Then under the Show Web tab there is a "Web" line with a different link and this link doesn't even work right. I get a web page with a lot of other links like the link couldn't be found, then I have to pick something including the web link that shows the TWC website. And this is UnderTow's problem? I don't think so.

From experience, I know the Lake Skinner information is contained deep inside several of the Riverside County Parks link and one must root way in to find it - the point being it would be difficult to find ONE web link to satisfy what is needed under a Lake Skinner listing. Now imagine this for 1000s of campgrounds and there might even be some campgrounds that have a web link.

We sure are expecting a lot out of this $29 software (soon to be $59).
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Guffeyite » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:18 pm

Either way, whether it's a "show web" tab that goes to a sub-script that links to a website or a hyper link on the information window, the problem will be the same for addressing the correct website. The coder has to get it right. I don't know the source that UnderTow uses to get this information but they do have a feedback method to correct errors in the software that are found by users.
And speaking of sources, what determines if a park is listed in the program? I have used the program since the edition of 2011 to find parks on the run. I have the program on a net book so my co-pilot can find an alternate park if we can't make it to our planned destination. It works sometimes but many times we go by bill board advertisements for the nearest park that wasn't in UnderTow's listings. Not griping you understand, just a statement of fact: not all parks are listed.
Guffeyite
New User
New User

Postby paulct » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:03 am

Not sure what the source of the links is, and like you said that's a different issue, but in the update I downloaded last night, the web redirection problems appears to be fixed.

I don't know what criteria is used to include a park, or not, but I do remember reading somewhere that Trailer Life did indeed have some minimum requirements that had to be met before listing a park. I'm sure advertising in their book also helped ;-)

If you have a park that you think should be included, I would email undertow the info. I've done that in the past.
Paul C.T.
paulct
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby artmart » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:12 pm

Don't forget to include the address, phone number, website, number of sites, number and types of hookups, whether it has a store, propane, swimming pool, playground, prices and everything else people want to know about it. This is a lot of work guys. And I admire anyone who has this time to get that one more campground in there.

Then there's eateries, lodging and fuel. Sheesh. For example, there are two McDonald's on my street within 1.5 miles of each other and only one is listed. I prefer the one that's not listed and maybe that's good cuz if no one knows about it so the lines are smaller.

Hang in there folks. This program will only be as good as we (and a whole bunch of others) that provide information to UnderTow.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Return to RV Plan 'N' Go 2013