[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Campground Info Lacking

Campground Info Lacking

Discussion and information about RV Plan 'N' Go 2013, the RV Trip Planning program from UnderTow

Campground Info Lacking

Postby dwsheltn » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:26 am

I want to emphasize several others concerns with the lacking campground information. I was happily working thru the software and pleased to see it was much easier to modify travel routes working with trip files from Campground Navigator. Then I started to plan a new trip in Plan 'N' Go. What a disappointment to find that apparently an arrangement had not been made to incorporate the detailed campground information and ratings from Trailer Life/Woodall's.

Without the campground data, this is just route planning software, and the actual trip planning will need to be done manually using an available printed campground directory. For now I'll use the old Navigator for trip planning since the campground info is reasonably current. I will keep Plan 'N' Go as it has some good route planning/modification features and hope undertow can work something out on the missing campground info. I, for one, would certainly be willing to pay for an upgrade which included the Trailer Life/Woodall's campground data.
dwsheltn
New User
New User

Re: Campground Info Lacking

Postby billrot » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:23 pm

I hear you, dwshltn. I don't know what happened and why the relationship stopped, but they had a good thing going. Both companies provided useful components to the end product. Like you, I would also pay $ to have access to the data from Trailer Life, but I am not certain if what caused the separation was a money issue, so I am not sure that just throwing money at it would fix it.

I did call and talk to tech support about it, but they are not very free with the details. All they'll say is that after Trailer Life decided not to do the navigator, they couldn't reach an agreement on licensing their data.

Undertow is promising to keep updating the data frequently, so let's see how that goes.
billrot
Active User
Active User

Postby TAMU62 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:53 pm

There is no way that Undertow Software can compile a database of 14,967 campgrounds that is even close to being worth while before I will be too old to travel. It has taken many years for Trailer Life and Woodall's to develop the current directory. Unfortunately the 2013 paper directory is over 2 1/2 inches thick and the weight of it is to the point that it effects fuel mileage. The paper directory is better than nothing, but just barely. If the two players can't get together, Undertow should rename the software "Go 2013". Without the information on campgrounds you can't do much planning. Let's hope things can be worked out someday.
TAMU62
New User
New User

Postby billrot » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:06 pm

Well, TAMU62, you may be right, but I just bet $29.99 that they might be able to quickly update it to the point of being useful. I guess I am a risk taker :-) I also buy a $2 powerball ticket every week, but I haven't hit it big, yet ;-)

I agree that the best solution would be for the two parties to come together again, but without knowing exactly what happened for them to part ways, it's hard to know if they'll join forces again. Nobody is saying anything!

In the meantime, I hope we start seeing some updates from Undertow, soon.
billrot
Active User
Active User

Postby PaPaRVer » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:46 pm

I agree with concerns of "no campground ratings/complete info". At 1/2 Price $39.95 introduction jumped the gun releasing this incomplete software. Google Maps gives more Useful Info for planning. Hope it wasn't a battle of egos that broke up TL and UTow.
PaPaRVer
New User
New User

Postby Kumaria » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:53 am

PaPaRVer wrote:Google Maps gives more Useful Info for planning.

Can you give me some pointers on how I could use google maps to do the same thing? I wouldn't mind trying it. I like the fact that I don;t have to be on the internet to use the Plan 'N' Go, but if I can get all the trip planning features that it has on google, I wouldn't mind trying it when I'm connected. I'd want to be able to set layover periods, start and stop times for daily driving for different sections of my trip, look for parks near me at the end of the day, etc. If I can do thank kind of "stuff" with google, I would love to know how! I've looked before, but had a tough time finding these things. Can you help?
Kumaria
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:18 pm

Last time I used Google for this, I don't recall being able to find information all that easy but being connected to the internet means I can connect to other websites and get information. I also don't remember being able to plot long trip waypoints, rest stops, considerations for RV lengths, and so many other trip planning features and not have to be connected to the internet.

I can also use my laptop with a GPS to plot where I am on the map as we go on our trip and still don't need to be on the internet.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby hrl430 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:02 am

Very misleading that campground rating info not included, and pretty much makes the software useless....................
hrl430
New User
New User

Postby IanRoth » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:34 am

hrl430 wrote:Very misleading that campground rating info not included, and pretty much makes the software useless....................

Although campground ratings would be interesting, why do you think something was misleading? Did you see anything that suggested campground rating would be included? Something in the program description? Somewhere else? What made you feel that ratings would be included? Just wondering.
IanRoth
Active User
Active User

Postby texnet » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:23 am

I have been using the Trailer Life version since 2009 and spent the money each year for the new version. Each year some things were improved. When I received the email about the new RV Plan 'N' Go 2013 I did notice the name change but they have done that a couple of times before so I just figured it was a marking ploy... I have had the 2013 version since it came out and VERY DISAPPOINTED in the RV Park information. We have a 42' Monaco and so far I have been unable to plan any trips with the new version due to the lack of information about RV Parks. I have reverted back to the 2012 version and will not send UnderTow any more money for a new version without first seeing a demo that shows me they haven't taken features away from the program!
texnet
New User
New User

Return to RV Plan 'N' Go 2013