[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - TLDCN with Ubuntu

TLDCN with Ubuntu

A discussion area for users of RTN2012, TLDCN2011, TLDCN2010, TLDC2009, TLDCN2008, TLDCN2007 & TLDCN2006

TLDCN with Ubuntu

Postby Ruby22 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:17 pm

I thought I had seen a thread with step-by-step on now to run TLDCN on a netbook with ubuntu, but I can't locate it, can someone point me to it?

I wish they would break this area in smaller forums with more specific areas of interest (GPS, routing, Other Operating Systems, etc.)
Ruby22
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: TLDCN with Ubuntu

Postby artmart » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:58 pm

I found 9 posts using the "advanced search" function (right below the "Search" box to increase where to search. I did a search of Ubuntu in the text area only (no subjects) and even found your post (this one). There were even posts that there was success using Ubuntu with TLDCN.

If this search function still does not work for you, then post once again to let us know and I will put in the specific instructions (I'm just being lazy cuz I'm fighting the end of the flu). In either case let us know if you find what you are looking for.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Ruby22 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:09 pm

Thanks, I will take a look.

I wish they would break up this forum in different areas, like installation, trip planing, POI, etc. It's hard to find things with so many threads and hundreds of messages :-(
Ruby22
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby MichaelG » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:34 pm

Following encouragement here and a few hours of browsing on-line ubuntu forums, I was able to install TLDCN2010 on my friends netbook, and I just had to do it again for him with TLDCN2010 (but this time, I jotted down some info). So, here it goes...

Remember I an NOT an ubuntu expert and the assumption is made here that wine is already installed on your system. If it's not, you can follow the simple steps in section (A) Below, but it's better to download the Wine documentation and go through it to make sure that the layer is installed, configured and running properly. As I said, I am not an ubuntu (or Linux) expert! Just so that we are on the same playing field, I am using Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) with Gnome Desktop 2.32.0 and wine v1.2.2 (for Ubuntu). f you are using some other version, you'd have to probably make some adjustments to the directions I provide, below.

Section (A) Install Wine in Ubuntu
----------------------------------
1. Open the Ubuntu Software Center
2. Search for Wine (Windows Compatibility Layer)
3. Select it and install it (When I did there were two versions a stable and a beta one. Being the risky person I am, I selected teh beta version <smile>) Note that tis is a heft size download ~ 100 Mb, so it may take a while to download and install.

Section (B) Install TLDCN2011 in Wine
-------------------------------------
1. In ubuntu, navigate to the location of the install files for TLDCN2010 presumably your DVD drive.
2. Locate the file setup.exe and right-click on it
3. Select "Open with Wine Windows Program Loader", this should start the install process
4. Just accept all the defaults (it should install the program in c:\program files)
5. After teh install process is completed, simply double on the desktop icon (that should have been created) to run the program.

Hope this helps. Let me know.
MichaelG
Active User
Active User

Postby Ruby22 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:30 am

MichaelG, sorry it took a while to get back to you. It worked fine, thanks!
Ruby22
Frequent User
Frequent User

Return to Older Trailer Life Navigator Programs (TLDCN & RTN)