[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Where are my files?

Where are my files?

A discussion area for users of RTN2012, TLDCN2011, TLDCN2010, TLDC2009, TLDCN2008, TLDCN2007 & TLDCN2006

Where are my files?

Postby Chris T. » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:10 pm

I am trying to find where my journal file (pictures, etc.) created by TLDCN2010 is and am having a hard time. Can anyone help?
All limitations are self imposed
Chris T.
Active User
Active User

Re: Where are my files?

Postby xavier » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:56 pm

Chris T. wrote:I am trying to find where my journal file (pictures, etc.) created by TLDCN2010 is and am having a hard time. Can anyone help?

I think it is in one of the folders in \Program Files\TLDCN2010
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby Chris T. » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:22 am

xavier wrote:
Chris T. wrote:I am trying to find where my journal file (pictures, etc.) created by TLDCN2010 is and am having a hard time. Can anyone help?

I looked through Windows. There is a whole lot of folders in there and some files in the states, data1, data2 and data3 folders but no files in any other folder. Even my trips are not there, although I always save them in the "My Trips" folder. And yet, if I run the program and go to open a trip, all my trip files are there. Help, my computer is haunted :-(
Chris T.
Active User
Active User

Postby JonCamp » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:32 pm

Chris T. wrote:
xavier wrote:

I looked through Windows. There is a whole lot of folders in there and some files in the states, data1, data2 and data3 folders but no files in any other folder. Even my trips are not there, although I always save them in the "My Trips" folder. And yet, if I run the program and go to open a trip, all my trip files are there. Help, my computer is haunted :-(

It depends on the version of Windows you are using. If you are using Vista or 7, which I think by default do not allow writing to any \Program Files folder, then all the program's folders and files are stored in the virtual store \Program Files, under your user's profile. Don't take this to the bank, but that's where I found all my files :-)
JonCamp
Active User
Active User

Postby Chris T. » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:38 pm

I am actually using Win7 (just upgraded), but I have to admit, you lost me. I have no idea what all this virtual stuff is. All I want to do is find the files that *I* created! It should be a simple thing, no?
Chris T.
Active User
Active User

Postby JonCamp » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:04 pm

Chris T. wrote:I am actually using Win7 (just upgraded), but I have to admit, you lost me. I have no idea what all this virtual stuff is. All I want to do is find the files that *I* created! It should be a simple thing, no?

Even though your program was installed in c:\Program Files\TLDCN2010 any files saved by the program are actually stored in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\TLDCN2010 (where <user> is the Win7 user name you are currently logged in with).

"Virtual Store" is another Microsoft innovation :-( the most amazing innovation ever, NOT. For decades, when a programmer told their code to "save a file to a SPECIFIC location", the Operating System either saved the file to the SPECIFIC location or raised an exception. Not anymore! The actual location of the file depends on where the program was installed and there is no indication to the user that the file was NOT saved in the c:\Program Files folder where the user expected it to be. Microsoft should have stayed with XP, evertything else since then has been nothing but trouble :-)

This article may explain the whole "Virtual Store" concept. It's applicable to both Vista and Win7. Good reading.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/maga ... 6.uac.aspx
JonCamp
Active User
Active User

Postby mrhagen » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:43 am

JonCamp wrote:
Chris T. wrote:I am actually using Win7 (just upgraded), but I have to admit, you lost me. I have no idea what all this virtual stuff is. All I want to do is find the files that *I* created! It should be a simple thing, no?

Even though your program was installed in c:\Program Files\TLDCN2010 any files saved by the program are actually stored in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\TLDCN2010 (where <user> is the Win7 user name you are currently logged in with).

"Virtual Store" is another Microsoft innovation :-( the most amazing innovation ever, NOT. For decades, when a programmer told their code to "save a file to a SPECIFIC location", the Operating System either saved the file to the SPECIFIC location or raised an exception. Not anymore! The actual location of the file depends on where the program was installed and there is no indication to the user that the file was NOT saved in the c:\Program Files folder where the user expected it to be. Microsoft should have stayed with XP, evertything else since then has been nothing but trouble :-)

This article may explain the whole "Virtual Store" concept. It's applicable to both Vista and Win7. Good reading.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/maga ... 6.uac.aspx

Actually, this means that the software you have installed (in this case, TLDCN2010) does not adhere to accepted programming standards, it incorrectly assumes that it is running with full admin rights and is attempting to write files to a system protected location, c:\Program Files

Now that is hardly the fault of Microsoft. It's clearly sloppy programming on the part of the developer - very sloppy!

I mean I love the product and the tech support by Undertow is really great, but we've got to call it the way it is. I have done my share of Microsoft blaming, but we've got to draw a line, somewhere ;-)
mrhagen
Senior User
Senior User

Postby Macci3 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:49 pm

Actually, this realy means that the OS (Win7) did not properly return an error code after the illegal request to write files to a protected area. Decent Operating Systems should provide this sort of feedback when something goes wrong, so that the programmer can handle the error! :-|
Macci3
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:41 pm

I had the same issue for user defined parks and this is what I was sent by Undertow Tech Support for TLDCN2008 on Windows Vista. I have a feeling that for these files will be similar file location with TLDCN2009 and Windows 7 and will have it in the same place. The items in quotes will be user dependent:

"C":\Users\"UserName"\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\TLDCN2008

Your pictures will be there or in one of the subdirectories under that directory (probably My Pictures)

The other subdirectories you'll see are:

\My CAD Files
\My Maps
\My Parks
\My Pictures
\My Trips

Hopefully this simplifies what you are looking for.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Chris T. » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:07 pm

artmart wrote:I had the same issue for user defined parks and this is what I was sent by Undertow Tech Support for TLDCN2008 on Windows Vista. I have a feeling that for these files will be similar file location with TLDCN2009 and Windows 7 and will have it in the same place. The items in quotes will be user dependent:

Your pictures will be there or in one of the subdirectories under that directory (probably My Pictures)

\My CAD Files
\My Maps
\My Parks
\My Pictures
\My Trips

Thanks artmart, but when I look in c:\Users\"Username" (which is my name), I do not see a folder AppData, so I don't know where to go from here :-(
Chris T.
Active User
Active User

Postby RWinlow » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:53 pm

Chris T. wrote:
artmart wrote:I had the same issue for user defined parks and this is what I was sent by Undertow Tech Support for TLDCN2008 on Windows Vista. I have a feeling that for these files will be similar file location with TLDCN2009 and Windows 7 and will have it in the same place. The items in quotes will be user dependent:

\My CAD Files
\My Maps
\My Parks
\My Pictures
\My Trips

Thanks artmart, but when I look in c:\Users\"Username" (which is my name), I do not see a folder AppData, so I don't know where to go from here :-(

I had similar problems and contacted Undertow, After they told me where the files would be (same as the location provided by artmart), I couldn't find the AppData folder. So I asked them and here is their response:

"By default that folder is not visible. To change this click on Start --> Computer Organize --> Select “Folder and Search Options” --> Select the “view” Tab --> select the option that says “show hidden files, folders and drives”. Your App Data folder will now be visible"

It worked for me.
RWinlow
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:57 am

I forgot to mention that part.... The directory is hidden so please follow Rwinlow's instructions to be able to see it. You might need to have administration rights to this.

Please let us know how you are doing.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Chris T. » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:43 am

Thanks to all the people here and their suggestions I was able to finally locate my file(s). I also read the Microsoft article at the link that was pasted earlier in the discussion, but it's a bit beyond me. Anyway, I found my files and I am happy. Thanks.
Chris T.
Active User
Active User

Postby DK13 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:38 am

I asked Undertow about this and it turns out the APP data folder is hidden. I asked them how to display it and here's what they said...

"By default that folder is not visible. To change this click on Start Computer Organize Select “Folder and Search Options”  Select the “view” Tab select the option that says “show hidden files, folders and drives”. Your App Data folder will now be visible"

Hope this helps
DK13
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:29 pm

DK13... this was already posted by RWinlow. I think you forgot to read the 2nd page of this topic where this information was already provided and you'll see the original poster has also been able to find his files.

Thanks for the help anyway, but if you aren't used to looking for subsequent pages you probably won't see this post either.

Take care....
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby RWinlow » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:49 pm

Just wanted to let everyone here know that I contacted undertow last week and the tech person I talked to told me that they are changing TL2011 and the user files will be sored in a folder in My Documents, so they will be easier to find. No more fighting with hidden folders, virtual store, etc.
RWinlow
Senior User
Senior User

Postby HarryR » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:09 pm

RWinlow wrote:Just wanted to let everyone here know that I contacted undertow last week and the tech person I talked to told me that they are changing TL2011 and the user files will be sored in a folder in My Documents, so they will be easier to find. No more fighting with hidden folders, virtual store, etc.

Amen!
HarryR
Active User
Active User

Return to Older Trailer Life Navigator Programs (TLDCN & RTN)