[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Trailer Life on my netbook

Trailer Life on my netbook

A discussion area for users of RTN2012, TLDCN2011, TLDCN2010, TLDC2009, TLDCN2008, TLDCN2007 & TLDCN2006

Trailer Life on my netbook

Postby MichaelG » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:51 pm

Well, I finally broke down and bought me one of those little netbooks (found a great deal so I couldn't resist). Cute thing, small, a bit slow, but for emailing and stuff is pretty good. My question is, how do I get the 2010 Trailer program installed on it? I have it on my desktop and on my wife's laptop, but want to have it on this little thingie, as well.
MichaelG
Active User
Active User

Re: Trailer Life on my netbook

Postby Kevin_T » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:10 pm

MichaelG wrote:Well, I finally broke down and bought me one of those little netbooks (found a great deal so I couldn't resist). Cute thing, small, a bit slow, but for emailing and stuff is pretty good. My question is, how do I get the 2010 Trailer program installed on it? I have it on my desktop and on my wife's laptop, but want to have it on this little thingie, as well.

May be I'm missing something here, but... Just plug your external CD drive to your netbook, and then insert the disk in the drive. That's all you should have to do, no?
Kevin_T
Senior User
Senior User

Postby MichaelG » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:52 pm

Kevin_T wrote:
MichaelG wrote:Well, I finally broke down and bought me one of those little netbooks (found a great deal so I couldn't resist). Cute thing, small, a bit slow, but for emailing and stuff is pretty good. My question is, how do I get the 2010 Trailer program installed on it? I have it on my desktop and on my wife's laptop, but want to have it on this little thingie, as well.

May be I'm missing something here, but... Just plug your external CD drive to your netbook, and then insert the disk in the drive. That's all you should have to do, no?

What external CD drive? This one didn't come with any such thing. BTW, I'm well-versed in computers so don't hesitate to throw any detailed information at me.
MichaelG
Active User
Active User

Postby DK13 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:18 am

No detailed information to throw. If you want to install programs from a cd/dvd to a PC without a CD/DVD drive you need to buy an external drive. You said you are well versed with computers, why don't you try sharing the CD on your home network. This is probably the easiest way to do it because most users these days have a network readily available, and assuming there’s a network there’s likely a PC with an optical drive connected to it.
First you need to load the CD/DVD into the optical drive in the PC. Now go to My Computer and right click on the drive with the loaded media, click properties, navigate to the Sharing tab (note if you haven’t done this before it may give you a warning that you shouldn’t do this unless you know what you’re doing, click the message to continue). Check the Share this folder on the network box, give it a name of your choice and hit OK.
From this point forward any computer on your network will be able to access the shared drive. If this is a problem be sure to follow the steps above and uncheck Share this folder on the network, to take it off.
Now, make sure your Netbook is connected to the network. Access My Network Places, and click Add A Network Place, use the wizard to add the optical drive you selected to share.
Now that it is shared you should be able to access it from My Network Places at any time (when your Netbook is connected to the network), and it should automatically refresh if you switch the CD, if it doesn’t do a right-click, and hit refresh and the files should update. If you are trying to install software and are used to auto-run, double click the Setup.exe file or similar to begin installation.
DK13
Active User
Active User

Postby Kevin_T » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:31 am

MichaelG, NONE of them come with any such thing :-) (unless of course a vendor has packaged them with a netbook as a special offer). You know, just like computers do not come with printers. If you buy a computer and you want to be able to print, you need to buy a printer. If you buy a netbook and you want to access things that are on a CD-ROM disk, you need to buy an external drive for your netbook. I don't get what's the tricky part in all this?

Of course, like DK13 did, I should have mentioned that there is another potential way to do it, without buying the external drive. If you have set-up a home network (most of us using Wi-Fi have that, and you said you pretty savvy with computers so you probably already have that), then set up your netbook as a node on that network, share your desktop's or laptop's cd-rom drive on the network, and then access it from the netbook and use it as if it was attached to your netbook computer.
Kevin_T
Senior User
Senior User

Postby MichaelG » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:35 am

DK13 wrote:No detailed information to throw. If you want to install programs from a cd/dvd to a PC without a CD/DVD drive you need to buy an external drive. You said you are well versed with computers, why don't you try sharing the CD on your home network. This is probably the easiest way to do it because most users these days have a network readily available, and assuming there’s a network there’s likely a PC with an optical drive connected to it.
First you need to load the CD/DVD into the optical drive in the PC. Now go to My Computer and right click on the drive with the loaded media, click properties, navigate to the Sharing tab (note if you haven’t done this before it may give you a warning that you shouldn’t do this unless you know what you’re doing, click the message to continue). Check the Share this folder on the network box, give it a name of your choice and hit OK.
From this point forward any computer on your network will be able to access the shared drive. If this is a problem be sure to follow the steps above and uncheck Share this folder on the network, to take it off.
Now, make sure your Netbook is connected to the network. Access My Network Places, and click Add A Network Place, use the wizard to add the optical drive you selected to share.
Now that it is shared you should be able to access it from My Network Places at any time (when your Netbook is connected to the network), and it should automatically refresh if you switch the CD, if it doesn’t do a right-click, and hit refresh and the files should update. If you are trying to install software and are used to auto-run, double click the Setup.exe file or similar to begin installation.

DK13 sorry for coming back to this after all this time. I tried to do what you suggested, but gave up because nothing worked and I was getting way too frustrated. Most of the thinks you asked me to click on, I couldn't even find on my computer. I appreciate your effort, but need real simple step-by-step instructions that an idiot can follow. I also fired off a message to undertow, they should be the ones that provide this information, we are trying to install their program, we shouldn't have to be computer experts to do so. This is so frustrating.
MichaelG
Active User
Active User

Postby xavier » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:05 pm

But, MichaelG, early in the thread you said, "I'm well-versed in computers so don't hesitate to throw any detailed information at me". If you are so well-versed, I can't believe you could not follow the detailed directions DK13 provided ;-) What part of his recommendation is confusing you? If you indeed have some sort of home network, than he gave you step-by-step instructions, already.

However, I can suggest a different way of installing the program on your netbook. Use your wife's system to copy all the files on the two program disks to a a USB drive (you need about 1.5 GB free space on the USB drive). Then, plug the USB drive in your netbook and run the SETUP.EXE file on it. That's it!
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby MichaelG » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:41 pm

xavier wrote:But, MichaelG, early in the thread you said, "I'm well-versed in computers so don't hesitate to throw any detailed information at me". If you are so well-versed, I can't believe you could not follow the detailed directions DK13 provided ;-) What part of his recommendation is confusing you? If you indeed have some sort of home network, than he gave you step-by-step instructions, already.

However, I can suggest a different way of installing the program on your netbook. Use your wife's system to copy all the files on the two program disks to a a USB drive (you need about 1.5 GB free space on the USB drive). Then, plug the USB drive in your netbook and run the SETUP.EXE file on it. That's it!

O.K., so I may not be as well versed on computers as I thought. You may be an expert. But I have no problem understanding your suggestion, while that was not true for the one from DK13. And, anyway, if undertow sells a program for computer, they should provide directions on how to install the program on any computer, including netbooks. That's a big shortcoming on their part. And, that's typical of software companies. They provide very little information on how to use their programs and they presume the user is as familiar with it as they are. Very bad assumption.
MichaelG
Active User
Active User

Postby DK13 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:00 pm

I'm sorry that my advice did not help you to solve your problem. Hopefully you were able to make it work by using a flash drive. Did you ever wonder how you would install software onto a PC without a cd/dvd drive? Maybe something you should have researched or thought off before buying a netbook. I know this may seem extreme but If you buy some software from a company but you do not know how to turn on the computer you wish to install it on, is it the software provider's responsibility to teach you how to turn on your computer as well? Many people have netbooks and these people have installed various types of software on these netbooks without any problems. And not all of these people are "computer experts" as you like to call them. These people simply took the time to do some minimal research on how to install software on a computer that they wish to purchase or have purchased. Here is the information i found by doing 30 seconds of research...... hope it helps

http://hubpages.com/hub/install-netbook-software

http://www.ehow.com/how_5900997_run-cd- ... tbook.html

http://ezinearticles.com/?What-Are-Some ... id=4711072

http://www.computing.net/answers/office ... /8705.html
DK13
Active User
Active User

Postby MichaelG » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:11 pm

I DIDN'T MEAN TO CRITICIZE YOU, YOU ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO HELP ME AND THE FACT THAT YOU TRIED IS APPRECIATED. SORRY IF IT SOUNDED AS IF I WAS UPSET WITH YOU. I'M MORE UPSET WITH COMPANIES THAT DON'T PROVIDE DESCENT DOCUMENTATION ON USING THEIR PRODUCTS.

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP.
MichaelG
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:40 pm

Okay, Okay, everyone please remain calm. No more shouting (all caps) and especially stop the slamming that causes it. I am probably more proficient at computers than most here, but there are many who are better and many more who are a lot worse. I am an expert when working with my Mom, but not so much an expert when working with my highly degreed computer engineer brother-in-law. Computer expertise levels are subjective and too varying.

But with this product like many others, it does have excellent documentation on how and where it works. The problem lies in most of us who listen to salespersons who think they know what they know and most aren't aware enough to recognized. I have forgotten more information in my life than they'll ever know! When I shop the salesman will ALWAYS end up knowing more than they did after dealing with me.

Here's the point. As mostly neophytes in the computer world we don't always know what we have, understand what we buy and too many times try to get that one little edge that gets us in trouble. A Netbook is NOT a laptop. Windows 7 is not the same as Windows 7 Mobile. An application that is supported on Windows 7 may not work on minimized versions of hardware or software (like the reduced version of Windows 7 that runs on a reduced piece of hardware like a Netbook). Just because it LOOKS the same doesn't mean it's the same! Computers are very exacting!!! When someone says, it works over here, doesn't necessarily mean it will work over there. That said, I would not recommend using a Netbook with TLDCN. I gave up on Netbooks because they PRETEND to be like better scale desktops and laptops and they are not. Even if you get lucky enough to install TLDCN on that hardware doesn't mean that every feature TLDCN has will work because there may be another part that won't work because of the Netbook's limitation!

Be careful (and polite) out there! Asking for help is no guarantee there will be some! It's the way of the world and for us computer savvy engineers long ago who feared that making computers too easy to use by everyone was a bad idea, are seeing too much evidence of this. Play nice and no one gets hurt! Besides, didn't you ever get taught, "If the deal sounds too good to pass up, then maybe you should?"
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Kevin_T » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:52 pm

Art, I agree with your comments about keeping it civil and stop yelling. And, you are right, most salesmen know less about the product they are selling than the customer who is interested in purchasing it. Indeed, a netbook is not a powerful desktop or laptop, however, most netbooks (not All!) have more than enough horde power to run the TL product without any problems.
Kevin_T
Senior User
Senior User

Postby Macci3 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:05 am

MichaelG wrote:I DIDN'T MEAN TO CRITICIZE YOU, YOU ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO HELP ME AND THE FACT THAT YOU TRIED IS APPRECIATED. SORRY IF IT SOUNDED AS IF I WAS UPSET WITH YOU. I'M MORE UPSET WITH COMPANIES THAT DON'T PROVIDE DESCENT DOCUMENTATION ON USING THEIR PRODUCTS.

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP.

What does this have to do with proper documentation. The programs comes on a CD. You know that since you already have the CDs in your hands and have installed them on your other system. So, by definition, you know that the product is meant for a system that has a CD drive so you can stick the CDs in and install it. Then, you complain that the company didn't provide you with instructions on how to install on a system without a CD drive. Am I the only one that sees the irony here? It's like ordering a pair of 12 shoes on line for you. Then, after you use the shoes for a couple of months, you want to give them to your son, who wears a size 10. And you call back the company and you complain that they didn't provide directions on what you need to do to have their 12 size shoes worn by someone who wears size 10. Is it doable? Sure, you can use inserts, heel-fillers, etc. Is it the company's responsibility to provide you directions on how to do that? Heck No! They sold you a pair of size 12 shoes that are to be worn by a person that wears size 12. That's it, period!

Look, there is nothing wrong with asking how to do this and with not knowing how to do it and getting frustrated, and so on. I mean I get frustrated with my computer ten times a day, while trying to do different things, even with programs I have been using for many years. I forget how to use certain features, or I've never used a particular feature, or there is possibly a bug with a newer version, or some other program that I installed is interfering with programs I have been using every day,... there is always something. But, many times, I just have to take the time and understand what I am trying to do and then look for information and learn how to do it, rather than assume that it's someone else's fault.

Chill out and spend some time understanding your system, the OS, etc., its limitations and workarounds to overcome them. Your time will be much better spent that way and you'll find the experience of learning how to get something working on your own, rewarding.

Undertow, if you are monitoring this area, please, know that not all users are that unreasonable. Though many users wish a company did this or that better (or differently), most understand when the crossing into the absurd expectation occurs. And this type of complaint, is indeed absurd.
Macci3
Active User
Active User

Postby Moderator » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:00 pm

As Art suggested, please everyone take a deep breath and tone it down.

Boards such as this are supposed to enable the flow of information between users and when messages start to get personal (of even if they just *appear* to be personal) the flow of information is severely interrupted. Users of different computer expertise levels are members of this board. They should all be welcomed and helped to the extent possible without put-downs, sarcasm, etc.

We are all part of the same community trying to convince these boxes of metal and the associated software to make our life easier.

Enjoy...
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:46 pm

A Netbook has much of the same functionality of a laptop, however to keep the cost and complexity down, they removed much of the hardware support. This does not mean you as a user cannot put some of it back, but you might need to investigate a little further on what it takes, like using a removable CD drive to install the software. But what happens when you successfully install software that requires the CD to be present when using the program? If that is so, then you should have bought a laptop or tolerate a CD drive and cable hanging off it.

Know what you are getting and more importantly what you are not getting especially when the price sounds too good is very important. I caught a salesman telling someone ALL netbooks are the same since they all had the same disk size, memory size and display screens (nothing else was listed) and the price difference is because the vendors (Sony, Toshiba, Gateway, etc.) just like to base their prices on how the netbook looks, where they position its hardware and what color is more popular than others. I was so angered by this, I interrupted his conversation, then took him aside and showed him with his own computers what the differences were (DDR versus DDR2), Video processors, 3G versus non-3G. Redfaced, I waited for him to tell this potential customer that he was sorry and that the insides were different but that he didn't know what the differences were. Salesmen are NOT your friend.

Hopefully you can get TLDCN installed but don't be too surprised if that Kia you bought claims to be a BMW. There's more to the comparison than they both have an engine, 4 doors and wheels and tires. It's the insides that count. Good thing you can't pop a BMW engine in the Kia, eh? Good thing netbooks aren't as different but don't compare a netbook to a laptop or a laptop to a desktop and expect all to be equal. It's hard enough for companies like Undertow to keep things straight enough with the different hardware and they do have a specific set of requirements.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Return to Older Trailer Life Navigator Programs (TLDCN & RTN)