[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Mappro71 and Windows 8

Mappro71 and Windows 8

A forum made available for users of the MapPro OCX SDK to exchange ideas, ask each other questions, etc.

Mappro71 and Windows 8

Postby hklivon » Thu May 02, 2013 9:51 pm

Is Mappro71 supposed to be usable in Windows 8? I have used it with Win7 without any problems, but I have all sorts of problems with Win 8. It's possible I am doing something wrong, but for the life of me I cannot figure out what.

I am trying to use it with Visual Studio 2010, Vb. Net

What happens is that after I moved my VB.Net project from my Win7 to my Win 8 system, when I try to run my project I get a message to register. I click on register later and the program appears to run, but I get no map message on my form, just a copyright message in the lower left corner.

If I select to register now and get a serial umber, I enter it and then I get a message that says thank you for registering. Still no map, and next time I run the project I get the message to register again!

This is driving me nuts :-(
Experience: a name everyone gives to his mistakes
hklivon
New User
New User

Re: Mappro71 and Windows 8

Postby UShadow » Thu May 02, 2013 11:48 pm

No problem running it here, in Win 8. I actually did have some issues originally, because I was not able to register the ocx with windows, because i didn't have enough privileges. That was weird, since I was using Win 8 logged in an account that had admin privileges.

Once I resolved that, I had no problems. Also, if you get the appearance that the program is running, but don't see a map, it could be (a) that your data paths or (b) the datasource are incorrectly set.
Imagination is greater than detail - Albert Einstein
UShadow
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby hklivon » Sat May 04, 2013 6:47 pm

I had some issues with registering the COM object, as well. I think it might have been because I had copied in the Windows folder, and because I was trying to do it from the command line, but the command line was not started as an admin.

Once I moved it to my folder (under the root of C:) I Was able to register it, but now I am having all these issues.
Experience: a name everyone gives to his mistakes
hklivon
New User
New User

Postby ROstmeyer » Mon May 06, 2013 1:21 am

Why would you put the control in the windows folder? Really!

Also, one of the reasons that it may be failing is that you virus checker may be blocking access to the registry. If I understand it correctly, when the control instance is running, it needs read/write access to the registry.
ROstmeyer
Active User
Active User

Postby George.Tan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:02 am

ROstmeyer wrote:Why would you put the control in the windows folder? Really!

I don't think there are any instructions, or suggestions in the SDK that say don't place them in the Windows folder, is there? I mean, if the SDK is so "sensitive" to the location it's installed, shouldn't there be something in the documentation about it?

Also, it doesn't have to be a virus checker blocking such access. I thought that on most "default setup" Windows boxes, the registry is protected, anyway!
George.Tan
Active User
Active User

Return to MapPro OCX