[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - China Railroad file, anyone?

China Railroad file, anyone?

A discussion area for users of Precision Mapping Streets and Traveler v8.0, v8.1 and v9

China Railroad file, anyone?

Postby Carl.Dawd » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:23 am

I have a pet project I am working on and am looking for some sort of overlay file of the Chinese railroad system to use with precision mapping, now that it apparently supports data outside the US.

Does anyone know of a public source where I can get this data?

Thank you.
Carl.Dawd
New User
New User

Re: China Railroad file, anyone?

Postby Dimitry » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:33 pm

I don't know how good it is, but here is a ZIP file with shape files from an open source site. Hope it helps you.
Attachments
china_rail.zip
China Rail System (SHP file)
(3.41 MiB) Downloaded 452 times
Dimitry
Active User
Active User

Postby Carl.Dawd » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:56 pm

Thanks, I imported the file but there seems to be a problem. The lines that are supposed to show the rail lines are broken up. It's like having short runs of rail in the middle of nowhere. That shouldn't be, should it? It looks like in the picture below (the red arrows are pointing to the weird areas). Am I doing something wrong?
Attachments
crail.jpg
crail.jpg (50.74 KiB) Viewed 7539 times
Carl.Dawd
New User
New User

Postby Dimitry » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:06 pm

Sorry, Carl. I didn't create the data, I just founded and posted it for you. I really can't control its quality. I wish it was of better quality, but that's all I could find.
Dimitry
Active User
Active User

Postby Christau99 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:39 pm

Yeah, my experience is that the open source data is spotty. Some of it is real good, and some of it is of poor quality.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
Christau99
Active User
Active User

Postby kimtoll » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:09 am

Christau99, the free mapping data is actually of pretty good quality. There are a number of companies with commercial apps based on it. On the other hand, like any other data, it depends on what you do with it, i.e., how you use it. Of course, I am not talking about this specific case of teh Chinese railroads, which could indeed have a problem. I am talking about the data quality in general.
kimtoll
Active User
Active User

Return to Precision Mapping v8, v8.1 and v9