[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Missing islands

Missing islands

A discussion area for users of Precision Mapping Streets and Traveler v8.0, v8.1 and v9

Missing islands

Postby GreFurn » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:40 am

I was panning around and ended up with what I believe is an error. There appear to be some weird lines drawn in the middle of the ocean and I see a place named Hamilton in the middle of the water. Atlantis? Just kidding. I would expect to see "Bermuda" there, but not the name of the city *before* I saw the island. (see image).

I know this is an inexpensive map product and I am not expecting google results, but I thought these are gross errors.

Other than that, I have to say that I am pretty satisfied, so far.
Attachments
islandproblem.png
islandproblem.png (45.89 KiB) Viewed 2215 times
GreFurn
New User
New User

Re: Missing islands

Postby xavier » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:54 pm

I don't know about the lines, but that is indeed the location of Bermuda. I don't care too much either way, as long as the location (of the city or the island) are not wrong.

As for your comment,
GreFurn wrote:I know this is an inexpensive map product and I am not expecting google results, but I thought these are gross errors.

right, google is the king of the hill and contrary to what your message suggests, it is totally FREE! So, you would expect better results from a product you have to pay for, no?
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Missing islands

Postby artmart » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:13 pm

Google might be free for some, but somebody is paying for it, rest assured. They might throw this in for all to use because they make so much money in other ways they can afford to do so.

This is how Microsoft operates too. They have some free stuff (like Bing and Internet Explorer) since they make so much money elsewhere. It's how they get you sucked in and dependent on them, same as Google.

No offense to UnderTow but I believe they are more of the mindset you pay fairly for what they give you. They don't overcharge someone else to be able to give away free stuff. It's all in how you look at it. But it is true, NOTHING is truly free. They'll get their money from somebody (other customers or investors), maybe not you, but somebody is paying for it. They HAVE to do this in order to pay their employees who I doubt are volunteers.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Return to Precision Mapping v8, v8.1 and v9