[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Street Name and Address in v9

Street Name and Address in v9

A discussion area for users of Precision Mapping Streets and Traveler v8.0, v8.1 and v9

Street Name and Address in v9

Postby jophan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:42 am

I'm having a lot of trouble with the information window that used to display the street name and address range for a road segment when you hover over it. I guess the idea was to be more precise in identifying the location of a specific address, but it's driving me nuts. The information seems to be associated with such a small fraction of the road segment that it pops up and disappears in a fraction of a second, even when I'm at a scale as low as 200 ft. It's difficult to find just the right group of pixels to trigger the pop-up. This is seriously damaging the usefulness of the program for me. Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity or go back to seeing ranges for a whole block instead of specific numbers?

My primary use of PMap is for manual geocoding of fallout from mechanized processes. I appreciate that the address search adapts for road name spelling, incorrect suffixes and approximate city/zip. I also frequently need to determine locations through measurement from an intersection, including cumulative measurement for multiple points, and have found this application to be the best for that purpose of several I have used.
jophan
New User
New User

Re: Street Name and Address in v9

Postby jophan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:23 pm

A related issue: I'm getting a lot more failed searches if the street number doesn't exactly match one that triggers a pop-up. That's not helpful when trying to find a new address.
jophan
New User
New User

Postby RWinlow » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:12 pm

I've seen all sorts of other problems, and have communicated them to Undertow, but I haven't see any of these. Was there a specific address you were searching for (can you mention it here?), or with any search? I', asking because the searches I have done so far seem to successful.
RWinlow
Senior User
Senior User

Postby jophan » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:11 pm

Many of my searches involve a "town" that may not be an official name associated with a Zip code. An example:
1430 S DUPONT HWY, Wrangle Hill, DE
Now, Wrangle Hill is shown as a point on the map, and if I do a city search it comes out as 19701. But the actual point is in 19720. If I correct the City to "New Castle, DE 19720" I get results for "S<Dupont Hwy" (over a mile north of the correct point) and "1181 - 1183 S<Dupont Hwy"

I still have v.7.0 on my work machine, and it has no trouble telling me that Wrangle Hill ought to be New Castle and supplying the zip. It also pointed me at the right road segment.
jophan
New User
New User

Postby jophan » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:31 pm

The update looks to have fixed my issues. Thanks.
jophan
New User
New User

Postby RWinlow » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:31 pm

Thanks for letting us know, jophan, but you've got to thank the undertow people. Here, in the forums, we are just a bunch of users, just like you :-)
RWinlow
Senior User
Senior User

Return to Precision Mapping v8, v8.1 and v9