[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Where are the counties?

Where are the counties?

A discussion area for users of Precision Mapping Streets and Traveler v8.0, v8.1 and v9

Where are the counties?

Postby ghstinson » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:40 pm

Just installed Precision Map 9.0. Even though I have the ccounty boundary option turned, I am very disappointed in the way that PMap 9.0 shows counties. PMap 8.1 showed each county in a different background color and showed the county name within the county. While county boundaries are visible, there is barely any difference in the background colors and there are no county name lables. I'm seriously considering removing PMap 9.0 and going back to 8.1. If I could get my money back, I would gladly send 9.0 back. If you want county boundaries displayed prominently on your maps, don't use PMap 9.0. Stick with 8.1
ghstinson
New User
New User

Re: Where are the counties?

Postby DK13 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:30 am

Have you tried emailing undertow and letting them know about this? They are usually pretty good about correcting any "problems" that we encounter.
DK13
Active User
Active User

Postby DisAid » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:24 am

ghstinson wrote:Just installed Precision Map 9.0. Even though I have the ccounty boundary option turned, I am very disappointed in the way that PMap 9.0 shows counties. PMap 8.1 showed each county in a different background color and showed the county name within the county. While county boundaries are visible, there is barely any difference in the background colors and there are no county name lables. I'm seriously considering removing PMap 9.0 and going back to 8.1. If I could get my money back, I would gladly send 9.0 back. If you want county boundaries displayed prominently on your maps, don't use PMap 9.0. Stick with 8.1

I hadn't noticed that until you brought it up.

You are right, the counties are not very visible and the county names are not there at all. I don;t know that I would return my copy, because I like the new maps, but I *am* definitely disappointed :-(
DisAid
Active User
Active User

Postby ghstinson » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:03 pm

Here's the response I got from support:

We are aware of the issue regarding the county boundary option and are currently working on a fix for it. As soon as the correction is available we will let you know.
ghstinson
New User
New User

Postby JohnGr » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:24 pm

@ghstinson, Thanks for the update, but you've got to lighten up. I don't know exactly what you reported to them, or how, but if I were them and saw your message, I'd refund your purchase price and give you some extra money so that you'd go away and I wouldn't have to deal with you again ;-)

Seriously dude, in this age of impersonal media, there is no need for all that negativity that was in your original message posted here.

Anyway, I hope they fix it and thank you for reporting this problem to them (which at the end benefits all of us), but you've got to chill, really :-)
JohnGr
Active User
Active User

Postby xavier » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:27 pm

JohnGr wrote:@ghstinson, Thanks for the update, but you've got to lighten up. I don't know exactly what you reported to them, or how, but if I were them and saw your message, I'd refund your purchase price and give you some extra money so that you'd go away and I wouldn't have to deal with you again ;-)

Seriously dude, in this age of impersonal media, there is no need for all that negativity that was in your original message posted here.

Anyway, I hope they fix it and thank you for reporting this problem to them (which at the end benefits all of us), but you've got to chill, really :-)

What are you the forum police, or something?

I didn't see anything wrong with the original post, the OP was disappointed and was venting. That's one of the few things we can do here, without having to justify the way we talk/write. I think *you* need to lighten up, not the OP.
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby Kevin_T » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:26 pm

Everyone seems to on edge today :-)

JohnGR, Xavier, there is no need to turn everything into an argument, is there? The OP found something that did not meet his expectations, he posted here, emailed the company, and most likely there'll be a new version released that addresses his concerns. That's how it's supposed to work!

ghstinon, thanks for reporting this problem to the company and please, let us know when they notify you of a fix. Many of us in this forum appreciate your taking the time to do that.
Kevin_T
Senior User
Senior User

Postby ghstinson » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:43 pm

Kevin_T,

Thank you. I do not apologize for expecting competence and my money's worth. I have used Precision Map extensively in search and rescue and disaster relief as a volunteer with the Civil Air Patrol. The loss of the county outlines significantly impacted that. Undertow has always produced a good product. If no one tells them about the issue, they don't know it's an issue.

I refrained from responding to JohnGr because he is as free to express his opinion as I am to express mine. I appreciate the support of others who used their freedom to express theirs.

George Stinson
ghstinson
New User
New User

Postby JohnGr » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:40 am

Sorry if I offended anyone, that was not my intent. I was not commenting on the content of the original message, but more on its tone. There is nothing wrong with expecting value for money and competence. But you see, therein lied the basis of my post. Even in the later message, the implication is that because the country names were not there, that constitutes "incompetence". Just like the suggestion in the original message " If you want county boundaries displayed prominently on your maps, don't use PMap 9.0. Stick with 8.1", instead of "hopefully the company will fix this error promptly", or even "the company should fix this quickly", something to that effect. Probably ninety percent of the effectiveness of a message is in the delivery and it was the delivery I thought was over the top.

In any case, I don't want to argue, because as stated in another message, everyone is free to express their opinion. I simply expressed mine. You don't have to agree with me, but I stand by what I said.
JohnGr
Active User
Active User

Postby xavier » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:28 am

I think you may be reading things in these messages that are not there. The OP was expecting something that was there in a previous version and he was peered. I would be, too and I would have probably used harsher language. As for calling it incompetence, again, I would probably call it incompetence as well. Why not? If you don't hold companies to high standards, then we'll continue to get garbage from them.
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Return to Precision Mapping v8, v8.1 and v9