[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - mscomm32.ocx missing

mscomm32.ocx missing

A discussion area for users of Precision Mapping Streets and Traveler v8.0, v8.1 and v9

mscomm32.ocx missing

Postby hcurley » Mon May 16, 2011 9:55 pm

Hello,

I have been using Precision Mapping 8.1 since it came out on a 32 bit XP computer. Last week I moved it to Windows 7 64 bit and after I install it I get the following message: Component 'mscomm32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.

I have reinstalled the program 3 times and read many user forums about mscomm32.ocx but cannot get Precision Mapping to work.

It seems to me that if undertowsoftware cared about customer service they would post a fix for this problem, but I guess they do not care.

If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Hugh
hcurley
New User
New User

Re: mscomm32.ocx missing

Postby JohnGr » Tue May 17, 2011 8:09 am

There are many of us running Precision Mapping 8.1 with Windows 7 64 bit, without any problems! There was another thread, in this forum, about mscomm32.ocx. Did you try what users suggested in that thread? If not, can you try and post the results here? Did you contact undertow and ask them? Based on what *I* have seen so far, the main reason for *similar* messages is the user running from an account without enough privileges so running the program once as the admin seems to take care of them. YMMV :-)
JohnGr
Active User
Active User

Postby Kevin_T » Tue May 17, 2011 11:28 am

Hugh, first let me say that I agree with what JohnGr said, your better approach might be to contact undertow directly. What JohnGr suggested may work, and I am not 100%, because I don't know the inner workings of the program, but what probably happened is the following.

Normally, during the installation of the program, MSCOMM32.OCX is installed and registered in Windows (that's how all DLL and OCX units distributed with apps are processed). If you installed with Admin privileges that would/should have worked (in Windows XP, this was not an issue because of the the different UAC). If you did not install with enough privileges, the OCX was probably installed, i.e., copied onto your system, but not registered because only ADMINs can register controls. Since you are using Win7-64 ant his is a 32-bit windows control, it may or may not have already been installed and registered as part of the "standard" 64-bit Win7 installation (it was always installed and registered as part of the Win-XP install, that's why even if part #1 above failed, the program would have worked).

In any case, installing programs with insufficient privileges, can result in issues like the one you are having. We can test that theory out, it's fairly simple.

First take a look in the folder where the program was installed - it should be somewhere in "Program Files (x86)" and make sure a file MSCOMM32.OCX is in that folder. Then, look for the "Command Prompt" app (it should be in Windows Accessories), right-click on it and select to run as administrator - this is very important. Now, in the command prompt window, use the old type commands "CD" to navigate to the folder where the program was installed and where you found the MSCOMM32.OCX file (probably by typing something like: CD "c:\program files (x86)\Precision Mapping Streets and Traveler 8.1") Please note the double quotes, they are required! And also, if you have installed to a different location, you need to adjust the command appropriately. Once that becomes your default directory in the command prompt window, type: regsvr32 mscomm32.ocx and press ENTER. If it all worked as intended, you should get a message that the registration was successful. If so, run the Precision mapping program and you should be O.K.
Kevin_T
Senior User
Senior User

Postby RWinlow » Tue May 17, 2011 12:28 pm

hcurley wrote:... It seems to me that if undertowsoftware cared about customer service they would post a fix for this problem, but I guess they do not care.

Are you related to Xavier? He's the only other person I know that would put it quite this way and blame undertow for everything, including the inability of their program to fix all his problems with other software or the OS :-)
RWinlow
Senior User
Senior User

Postby xavier » Tue May 17, 2011 10:30 pm

RWinlow wrote:
hcurley wrote:... It seems to me that if undertowsoftware cared about customer service they would post a fix for this problem, but I guess they do not care.

Are you related to Xavier? He's the only other person I know that would put it quite this way and blame undertow for everything, including the inability of their program to fix all his problems with other software or the OS :-)

Real funny, Not!

And, I agree with the original poster anyway. If they cared about customer service they would have done something about it!
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby hcurley » Sat May 28, 2011 12:08 am

Kevin_T,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I moved the MSCOMM32.ocx from System32 to SysWOW64 and registered it. Now Precision Mapping fails on ComCTL32.dll. When I try to register it, I get a message about the lack of entry point for the DLL.

I will call Undertow to see about this.

Hello RWinlow,

In case you have not discovered, right now Windows is the 800 pound gorilla; if you want to play in this field you play by their rules. Microsoft has dumbed down the computer experience so anyone can run it. They have removed any meaningful messages so we can trace a problem. They expect programs to install and execute without technical knowledge on the part of the user. When the program does not, it is up to the program vendor to fix the problem, not Microsoft or the user.

This attitude dethroned other 800 pound gorillas including IBM, AT&T, and GM and well as many lesser known names such as Wordstar. It will dethrone Microsoft also. But until it does, they make the rules.
hcurley
New User
New User

Postby artmart » Sat May 28, 2011 2:02 pm

hcurley....

I don't quite agree with your analogy of an 800 lb Gorilla. I think you are being kind.

My opinion is that this Gorilla is about the size of King Kong, or more like 80 tons. This beast gets heavier and heavier at each release - and meaner and meaner, too.

Ya think?
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby RWinlow » Mon May 30, 2011 10:51 pm

@hcurley, Please, do not misunderstand me, I definitely don't want to give a free pass to undertow or any other software company. And, I *DO* understand that today Microsoft makes the rules and everyone better play by them. However, that doesn't mean that I also can't see that not every problem is caused by these *other* software companies. I mean, if a company created a "screwy" OS, for the most part software developers can work around it, but in some cases the can't and the user may need to understand the OS, however dumbed down you think it is. If you don't think Microsoft's OSes are the cause of "many" problems users are having with software applications, spend a few minutes browsing the web - you'll be convinced otherwise.

Anyway, in final analyses, I don't know if undertow has messed up or not, and I know that software companies like to point fingers to each other and the OS as causes of the problems. But I do know that understanding the OS and one's particular installation, many times can go a long way towards being able to identify and solve problems.

As for my comment towards Xavier, it was "sort of" tongue-in-cheek because he usually likes to blame undertow for everything, including any bad weather his area might be experiencing. If you don't believe me, take a look at his posts over the last couple of years ;-)
RWinlow
Senior User
Senior User

Return to Precision Mapping v8, v8.1 and v9