[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - New PMS&T ?

New PMS&T ?

A discussion area for users of Precision Mapping Streets and Traveler v8.0, v8.1 and v9

New PMS&T ?

Postby JohnGr » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:04 am

Is there going to be a new release of Precision Mapping Streets and Traveler? If so, does anyone know when? We've been using this products since version 3.0, with APRS, and it is really fallen behind in terms of where technology is today. We still like the program, but there isn't going to be any update soon, we'll have to start looking to replace it with one of the more current products.
JohnGr
Active User
Active User

Re: New PMS&T ?

Postby JohnGr » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:08 am

Yeah, I'm responding to my own messages :-) I forgot to add, what is the deal with making us jump through hoops to register this product? We need to register it, then need to register it if we use APRS, then need to register again if our system crashes and we rebuild it, and so on, and the registration process is not really clear. Sometimes it's a registration, other times it's a transfer, you need to keep track of the old registrations... We need to start complaining to undertow that we don;t want to put up with all this, otherwise they won't change/simplify the process.
JohnGr
Active User
Active User

Postby Camper22 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:51 am

This is just a user forum. Have you contacted them directly? What did they say?
Camper22
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby karmak » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:05 am

Camper22 wrote:This is just a user forum. Have you contacted them directly? What did they say?

I contacted them, back in April of this year and I was told they are working on a new version and would probably be released 3rd quarter of 2010, but I haven't heard anything else since then.

I use both Precison Mapping and their Trailer Life program, but it seems that they spend a lot more effort on the TL program and may be abandoning Precision Mapping altogether, I don't know. I may call them back again and check on it, if I get a chance.
karmak
Active User
Active User

Postby JohnGr » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:49 am

karmak wrote:
Camper22 wrote:This is just a user forum. Have you contacted them directly? What did they say?

I contacted them, back in April of this year and I was told they are working on a new version and would probably be released 3rd quarter of 2010, but I haven't heard anything else since then.

I use both Precison Mapping and their Trailer Life program, but it seems that they spend a lot more effort on the TL program and may be abandoning Precision Mapping altogether, I don't know. I may call them back again and check on it, if I get a chance.

I use both too, though I don't use Precision Mapping that often, I just use it casually with uiview. I've asked them before and I have gotten similarly vague answers. For my purposes they told me that they can't release a new version because the mapserver that is needed for uiview was developed by a different company.

I just emailed them again, asking for an update. They never told me what company developed the mapserver, so I can contact them directly. If anyone knows, let me know and I will do so. What's the big secret? Does anyone have this information?

In any case, if I hear back from them I will let everyone here know, as well.
JohnGr
Active User
Active User

Postby RWinlow » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:58 am

I don't know if you've heard back, but I also asked them and did get a reply. Here is what I was told:

"A New version of Precision Mapping is forthcoming. The MapServer development for UiView is a different issue, since it’s not developed by UnderTow. We are trying to make arrangement to see if a new MapServer will be developed for it, but you could probably try and influence that if you contact the developer(s) of MapServer through one of the many web sites supporting UiView and MapServer."

So, if anyone knows where we'd go to find this other developer for PmapServer7 and convince him/her/them to develop a new version, please let us know.
RWinlow
Senior User
Senior User

Return to Precision Mapping v8, v8.1 and v9