[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - PMS&T 8.1 Garmin transfer

PMS&T 8.1 Garmin transfer

A discussion area for users of Precision Mapping Streets and Traveler v8.0, v8.1 and v9

PMS&T 8.1 Garmin transfer

Postby johnwilson » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:17 pm

I'm having problems transferring data (waypoints etc.) from my Garmin StreetPilot III and also from my Garmin GPSmap60. In both cases, I have the interface at the GPS set for Garmin, but when I click on File / Data Transfer / Garmin, the Garmin Data Transfer window opens and immediately puts up the message "Error..... (You can close dialog)".

The hardware setup works when I set the GPS for NMEA at 4800B and use PMS&T Trip Mode. I'm using a USB-serial adapter on a laptop, and have tried a couple of different adapters made by different manufacturers (or at least different brands; I think the innards are pretty much identical). The Hardware tab on the Windows System Properties control panel shows it as "Prolific USB-to-serial Comm Port (COM4).

Any ideas?
Tnx,
JohnW
johnwilson
New User
New User

Re: PMS&T 8.1 Garmin transfer

Postby Kevin_T » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:24 am

I think that the special drivers used to send waypoints back and forth to the devices may be for older HW (I had a similar experience a couple of years ago). The tracking is generally done using industry standard NMEA sentences, so that part is likely to work. But, to send information to the device, one needs special, proprietary drivers which are made available by the HW manufacturers. I remember talking to undertow and was told that the drivers built in the program were for older devices and that Garmin had changed the protocols (or something) in their newer devices. If I recall correctly, I was also told that the waypoint/track transfer capability may not be available in future versions of the software.

Of course, your best bet may be firing off an email to undertow tech support directly, they are pretty good about answering.
Kevin_T
Senior User
Senior User

Return to Precision Mapping v8, v8.1 and v9