[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - String used in SetItemString

String used in SetItemString

A forum made available for users of the MapPro OCX SDK to exchange ideas, ask each other questions, etc.

String used in SetItemString

Postby VictorC » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:50 pm

A developer left and I inherited a program for a non-profit I work for. It's a simple application we run in house to locate our collections. I think it's using MapPro OCX 7.1, but I don't know which release. I am no expert and I can follow most of the stuff in the program, but there is no documentation and some things are not so evident. The particular problem I have right now is the specifications for the string used in SetItemString. I have no idea what the part within the curly brackets is (see below). Does anyone out there have any ideas?

Private Sub MarkSpotNow_Click()
' Mark the spot provided by the user, and make sure it's
' distinguishable (map colors can be distracting)
'
MapPro1.SetItem 12001, AutoCurrentLong,AutoCurrentLat
MapPro1.SetItemString 1001, "{FONTST=3;FONTHT=-20;FONTCLR=$ff0000;BRUSHCLR=$ff;PENCLR=$0000ff}"
+ CurrentAutoID+Formatted(DateTime)
MapPro1.Refresh
'
End Sub
VictorC
Active User
Active User

Re: String used in SetItemString

Postby DK13 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:53 am

Hey Victor, there is a copy of the actual manual right on the Undertow Website in PDF format. Maybe it will help answer this and any other question you might have.

http://www.undertowsoftware.com/products/mappro71.htm
DK13
Active User
Active User

Postby DK13 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:56 am

Sorry, scroll to the bottom of the page I gave you the link to and click on, MapPro_71_Rel2_Ref_Manual.PDF

Hope this helps
DK13
Active User
Active User

Postby VictorC » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:42 pm

Thanks, DK13. Great link. I downloaded the pdf and went through it carefully. I can see the SetItemString function, but nowhere can I find any info about how it's called with all those extra specifications. I'll call tech support and see if I can get anywhere with them.

BTW, are you also using this control? What sort of application are you using it for?
VictorC
Active User
Active User

Postby MarkY » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:24 am

VictorC wrote:Thanks, DK13. Great link. I downloaded the pdf and went through it carefully. I can see the SetItemString function, but nowhere can I find any info about how it's called with all those extra specifications. I'll call tech support and see if I can get anywhere with them.

BTW, are you also using this control? What sort of application are you using it for?

You are right, Victor, the PDF that DK13 mentioned doesn't have any detail about this function :-(. Actually, there is a whole bunch of info that is missing from the PDF, and even more from the printed manual. I have found that emailing support usually gets me the info I need :-). I had a similar question about the function, a year or so ago, and when I contacted support, here is what I got (I have my comments in parentheses, as well). I hope this helps you. If not, just fire off a message to their support.

---

The portion inside the curly brackets controls the formatting of the string passed through the SetItemSting function. The spec is as follows:

'FONTST=' or 'FS=' font style, where 1 =bold, 2= Italic , 3=both, 0=none (default)

'FONTHT=' ,'FH=' font height in pixels, a negative value is in points (I never understood this one)

'FONTCLR=' ,'FC=' font color , e.g. 'FC=$ff' sets color to red, or 'FC=255' (only 256 colors max)

'BRUSHCLR=','BC=' brush color, i.e. , the background color of the text bounding box (solid color, unfortunately)

'PENCLR=' ,'PC=' pen color, i.e. border color of the text bounding box
The gene pool has no lifeguard...
MarkY
Active User
Active User

Postby VictorC » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:25 pm

Thanks MarkY. Now that I have some info about it, I played around with the code, and that's exactly what it does. Thank you, again. As I am digging into the code that was left behind, I'm sure I'll find other areas with questions. I am not a top notch developer, like the person who wrote this app, so I may have to ask more questions here.

Again, thank you very much.

Victor
VictorC
Active User
Active User

Return to MapPro OCX