[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Quick getting started tutorial for VS 2010 developers

Quick getting started tutorial for VS 2010 developers

A forum made available for users of the MapPro OCX SDK to exchange ideas, ask each other questions, etc.

Quick getting started tutorial for VS 2010 developers

Postby FletcherJ » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:36 pm

Hi all,
After getting frustrated getting the sample code working, I figured out a very simple tutorial for anyone who knows how to code but just wants an easy example to get them started using the mappro ocx. Enjoy:

1) Install the ocx
2) Open VS 2010 and add the ocxs (mapro, gpspro) to the VS toolbox (Rt click, add items)
3) Create a new windows form project (later you can create the type you really need.)
4) Go to the project properties and make sure you are generating x86 code (important if you run 64 bit windows)
5) Add the mappro ocx to the form
6) Add some buttons (+,-) to the bottom of the form, below the ocx.
7) Anchor the buttons to the bottom of the form, the ocx to all 4 sides.
8) Select the ocx and click on the triangle in the upper right to get to the ocs (Active x) properties. Or right click and choose active x properties.
9) On the installation tab, make sure that they vendor code is correct. If not, enter it and the password you got with the software
10) Click on the directories tab and make sure that the data locations have been specified.
11) On the layers tab, make sure all secondary checkboxes are checked.
12) In datasources, make sure that 01 (TIGER), 05 (Routing) and US (United States) have an x.
13) Add the following code to the button methods:
this.axMapPro1.ZoomIn(); // + button
this.axMapPro1.ZoomOut(); // - button

Run the app. It should show you a map. You can use the + or - buttons to zoom in/out. Or use your mouse to draw a rectangle to zoom into that rectangle.

Now add some other buttons, methods, check/uncheck active x settings, etc. and have fun making things happen.

me
FletcherJ
Active User
Active User

Re: Quick getting started tutorial for VS 2010 developers

Postby mAlagi » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:48 pm

Nice. It looks very similar to the simple process they have in the SDK FAQ. It's not as detailed as your tutorial. Thanks for posting it.
"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981
mAlagi
Active User
Active User

Postby MarkY » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:17 am

mAlagi wrote:Nice. It looks very similar to the simple process they have in the SDK FAQ. It's not as detailed as your tutorial. Thanks for posting it.

Of course! The one in the FAQ deals with how to run their (undertow's) sample code, the one here deals with how to get up and running and use the mappro.ocx in general! Makes sense, doesn't it?
The gene pool has no lifeguard...
MarkY
Active User
Active User

Postby UShadow » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:55 am

mAlagi wrote:Nice. It looks very similar to the simple process they have in the SDK FAQ. It's not as detailed as your tutorial. Thanks for posting it.

These may be good instructions (though a bit much... "add some buttons to the form...").

I have to say, I found the info in the SDK manual section "Installing and Using the Control" was all I needed to get going. Did you take a look at that section?

BTW, I *do* think undertow should have some specific tutorials to get inexperienced users going. But, I don't know that they frequent these forums. We may want to send emails to their tech support to tell them we'd like something like that.
Imagination is greater than detail - Albert Einstein
UShadow
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby UShadow » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:59 am

FletcherJ wrote:12) In datasources, make sure that 01 (TIGER), 05 (Routing) and US (United States) have an x.

Are you using MapPro80 with the Tiger Dataset? We've been toying with the idea of doing that, but I was skeptical about the data coverage, quality, etc. What's your take on it? Does it look like a "usable" dataset, or are we better off staying with the one from TANA?

Thanks
Imagination is greater than detail - Albert Einstein
UShadow
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby FletcherJ » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:04 pm

UShadow,

My goal was to just get someone able to quickly get VS 2010 running. So I did what worked for me. I am still quite novice at the whole mapping thing. As a coder, whenever I am new to a product, my first goal is to just get it working. Once I am able to see it running, then I just "play" with it to learn how it works.

So I don't have an answer for you about the Tiger data, but if you get an answer, please let me know as I will probably have to deal with that issue once I have the control doing what I want. In my case, I just use the data that came with the control.

Thanks,

me
FletcherJ
Active User
Active User

Postby VictorC » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:45 pm

Blindly checking/unchecking the various options may or may not work :-)

If you were using both the Tiger (USA) and the Tele Atlas (USA) data, the two datasets would be overlapping each other for the most part, so why would you select both?

If you just got the standard SDK package, then you don't have Tiger data.
VictorC
Active User
Active User

Postby FletcherJ » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:45 pm

VictorC,

When I set those settings, it was in my attempt to get things working. Given your comments, I will probably edit it to uncheck those as when I did so, everything still seemed to work. So my understanding is that it is probably best to just check the US option. What is your thought on checking the routing or not?

Thanks,
me
FletcherJ
Active User
Active User

Postby VictorC » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:24 pm

The rule of thumb should be to check what you are using and what you have a license to. As far as I know, the SDK comes with Tele Atlas data for USA and Canada. Also, based on the little info that's in the documentation, the cost of the client license is determined at run-time, based on what has been enabled in the Datasource.

So, you can enable everything you have licensed, on your development system, but only what you want to pay for, when you deploy your end-user application, otherwise the client license will cost you more.

As for the routing, I don't know what to tell you. If you are going to use routing in your application, then check it. If you are not going to use routing, then you don't need to.

It took me a while to figure out the whole client licensing system undertow is using, so I feel your frustration. But, once I figured it out, it seems to be working without any major problems.
VictorC
Active User
Active User

Postby VictorC » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:25 pm

The rule of thumb should be to check what you are using and what you have a license to. As far as I know, the SDK comes with Tele Atlas data for USA and Canada. Also, based on the little info that's in the documentation, the cost of the client license is determined at run-time, based on what has been enabled in the Datasource.

So, you can enable everything you have licensed, on your development system, but only what you want to pay for, when you deploy your end-user application, otherwise the client license will cost you more.

As for the routing, I don't know what to tell you. If you are going to use routing in your application, then check it. If you are not going to use routing, then you don't need to.

It took me a while to figure out the whole client licensing system undertow is using, so I feel your frustration. But, once I figured it out, it seems to be working without any major problems.
VictorC
Active User
Active User

Postby FletcherJ » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:30 pm

VictorC,

VictorC wrote:The rule of thumb should be to check what you are using and what you have a license to. As far as I know, the SDK comes with Tele Atlas data for USA and Canada. Also, based on the little info that's in the documentation, the cost of the client license is determined at run-time, based on what has been enabled in the Datasource.

It would be GREAT if the properties window for the control would indicate when a given option requires a license if used. As it is not clear, I can see a situation where I accidently (or from lack of knowledge) turn on a feature that requires a license and then get in to trouble, even though I don't really need that feature. Even worse might be if I write code based on that feature not realizing that I shouldn't have turned it on and should have coded based on a different approach....

Or at least have a message that pops up when I turn a given licenced feature on that tells me to make sure I have a license for it.

Thanks,

me
FletcherJ
Active User
Active User

Return to MapPro OCX