[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Number of User Objects?

Number of User Objects?

A forum made available for users of the MapPro OCX SDK to exchange ideas, ask each other questions, etc.

Number of User Objects?

Postby mAlagi » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:47 pm

Does anyone know what is the maximum number of User Objects I can define?
"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981
mAlagi
Active User
Active User

Re: Number of User Objects?

Postby Gyrotech » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:44 pm

As far as I can tell, there is no limit other than inherent Windows/RAM and other system resource limitations. I have used it with a few thousand UserObjects at a given time, with no problem.
Gyrotech
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby mAlagi » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:22 pm

I was asking because I was working on an app with a lot of suck objects (over 2000) and after a while I got a message that the app was out of resources and I lost control of the system.

So, I guess it was not the number of objects, but some other reason that caused the failure. I'll go back and take a closer look at my code.

Thanks
mAlagi
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:11 pm

Like was explained above you probably need more RAM. Gyrotech probably has a lot more RAM memory and therefore can use more objects.

You also need some amount of disk to store these User Objects, too. Even if you went out and increased your RAM memory so you could use more objects with the program and then you started filling your disk with other stuff, you might run out of disk space if you added too many new objects, then tried to save them in a disk file.

Sometimes the OS is friendly about messages and actions when the RAM or Disk limits are reached and sometimes they are not. This is because in order to process the messages to let us know, RAM or disk might be needed to do so and you might get a problem like you describe. It's always important to avoid getting to the limits before it's too late. Trying to use a system AT any limit will always cause some issues. Monitor your usage and do what you can to maintain some margin.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby mAlagi » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:32 pm

I am very well aware of how RAM and HD allocation works :-) As I stated earlier, I was asking because when I was using a largish # or user objects, the system run out or resources and became unstable. I was simply trying to find out if there was a "built-in" limit, before I started looking elsewhere. That has nothing to do with the HD space and saving of objects to a file, etc.

After running some lengthy tests, I discovered what I believe is some source of resource leakage in the OCX. I could see the resources being consumed through task manager, even with a small number of objects. Before contacting undertow, I downloaded the latest build (I was about 20 builds behind) and so far, it appears that the problem is gone, but I can't be 100% certain! Is there a place where I can get a description of mods in the latest build?
mAlagi
Active User
Active User

Return to MapPro OCX