[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - MapPro71 POI Search Broken

MapPro71 POI Search Broken

A forum made available for users of the MapPro OCX SDK to exchange ideas, ask each other questions, etc.

MapPro71 POI Search Broken

Postby VictorC » Thu May 05, 2011 9:32 am

I inherited a mappro71 project a while ago and have been able to get to the point where I can maintain the product that was based on it. Part of what I do, routinely, is to visit undertowsoftware.com/public and grab the latest builds of mappro71. But you know what, it appears that every time undertow makes a new build available, they introduce new problems and then I have to wait for a new fix. I am talking about "basic" function calls no longer working. I wish they were a bit more careful and tested their sdk a bit more, before releasing it, so we don;t have to do their testing for them :-(

Case in point. I have downloaded and am using the latest 7.2.2.253 I had some code searching for specifi POIs using the Geofind function and it no longer works with this built. I regressed the test back to use the simple example *THEY* provided in their documentation and it still fails!!

This is what their documentation says...

P[nnn] - Specifies a POI search. If no nnn is specified then there is no radius filter user in the search.

Example:

(a) GeoFind(‘Sonic,GA|P’);
All hits that meet the substring criterion ‘sonic’ in GA are returned in the form

Meadowlark Cir#9Savannah#9106#9GA#931419#9#9-81.257682,32.005708#9Sonic Drive-In#9560500

With the POI code as the last parameter being returned.

I use the same search string in my code GeoFind("Sonic,GA|P"); (double quotes in C#) and this is what I get back!

GA#19-83.426585,32.638492

So, if their simple example in their documentation won't work, how am I supposed to figure out why my more complex implementation stopped working? BTW, the code used for this POI search has not been modified in our source code, in the last 2-3 years, so I know it's not our code that caused to all of a sudden stop working.

Does anyone have any ideas?
VictorC
Active User
Active User

Re: MapPro71 POI Search Broken

Postby Gyrotech » Thu May 05, 2011 12:59 pm

Hmm... Where did you find this information? My copy of the documentation does not include anything about searching for POIs and I *have* been looking for this capability! And you found this in the documentation for MapPro71, Rel.2 ?
Gyrotech
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby VictorC » Thu May 05, 2011 1:26 pm

The information is in a PDF on their web page for developers, the filename is GeoFind-New-02.pdf. It may have been something they added after the initial release of MapPro71, that's why it may not have made it in the original docs, I don't know. I just can't understand why they would change/break the behavior of the OCX in later releases!
VictorC
Active User
Active User

Postby VictorC » Fri May 06, 2011 3:13 pm

I just wanted to let everyone here know that I *did* reach out to their tech support department, asking for answers. I will report back here what the resolution is. This could not happen at a worse time, we are in the final testing stages to roll-out an update to our product, that uses MapPro71.
VictorC
Active User
Active User

Postby VictorC » Mon May 09, 2011 1:09 pm

I jut got an email that they discovered a problem in the OCX (after I had to send them multiple messages and reminders and had to come up with some delphi example code for them - I don't think they use or can test with anything else) and they posted a new build on their web site. Well, better late than never. I'll get a chance to test it later on and will let everyone here know how it went.
VictorC
Active User
Active User

Postby Kevin_T » Tue May 10, 2011 10:25 am

Thanks for keeping us up to date on this. Out of curiosity, what is the application you are using this SDK for?
Kevin_T
Senior User
Senior User

Postby VictorC » Wed May 11, 2011 10:48 am

Kevin_T wrote:Thanks for keeping us up to date on this. Out of curiosity, what is the application you are using this SDK for?

We are using it to dispatch a small fleet of emergency response vehicles.

As for an update, I have to say that I am very disappointed in undertow. I have reported multiple problems with the POIs to them, but it appears that they expect users to do their testing for them. The product seems to be totally untested and every time I bring something up, they fix the problem and give me a new version, only to find that there is something else wrong, with the same feature, POIs. Had we not invested a lot of time and money into this project already and didn't have our users screaming for an update, I would have seriously considered dumping this and moving to a new platform. Very disappointed.
VictorC
Active User
Active User

Postby Gyrotech » Wed May 11, 2011 12:05 pm

I am surprised, because I have been very happy with them and their response to issues I have had in the past. But, I also no longer fool around with MapPro71 (well, I haven't for a while, since we moved to MapPro80), so I can't talk to the specific problems you are having.
Gyrotech
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby Kevin_T » Wed May 11, 2011 1:27 pm

My sentiments, exactly. I have been happy with their response over the years. Now, it may also depend on who from undertow happens to field your tech support request, I don't know, but I wouldn't give up. If you continue to have problems, I would let them know. If they ignore you and don't respond to you, that's a different story. although based on prior experience, I doubt they would do that.
Kevin_T
Senior User
Senior User

Postby VictorC » Wed May 11, 2011 4:52 pm

I understand all that guys, but if one licenses a product for development. one expects it to be "mostly" functional and not ridden with problems. It has been a very frustrating couple of days dealing with them, but you are right, if nothing else they are responsive. They just sent me a new build that appears to do what I expected, so some of that frustration is slowly subsiding. I just wished that companies spent more time testing their products before they release them. Not just undertow, software companies, in general.
VictorC
Active User
Active User

Postby Kevin_T » Sun May 15, 2011 12:31 pm

Glad to see they were able to fix the problems you were having.
Kevin_T
Senior User
Senior User

Return to MapPro OCX