[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Top 5 Pet Peeves

Top 5 Pet Peeves

For discussion on subjects that do not necessarily fit under any other category

Top 5 Pet Peeves

Postby FLABound » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:12 am

I saw a list on-line, where people contributed their top 5 pet peeves, so I thought it'd be fun to see what people's pet peeves are here. I haven't really spent much time thinking about it, but my top 5 probably are:

People who read the paper while driving.
People who ignore yield signs.
Je*ks who take up 2 parking spaces
When people say 'supposebly' instead of 'supposedly'.
People who eat while talking on the phone to me.

What are yours?
FLABound
New User
New User

Re: Top 5 Pet Peeves

Postby xavier » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:48 am

Oh, I could probably list a few dozen, and these are not necessarily my "worst", but this is what quickly came to mind when I saw your post. It'll be an interesting list, if others contribute as well :-) BTW, +2 on the one about people taking two parking spots.

People who use a calculator to figure out the tip at a restaurant.
People who park in Handicap spaces when they are not handicapped.
Men who refer to their wife as " the wife"- a wife is not an object.
People who don't put two spaces after a period when they type.
Using speaker phones in public areas at work.
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby paulct » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:47 am

xavier wrote:People who don't put two spaces after a period when they type.

They are not supposed to! This is a left-over rule from the days where type was mono-spaced, i.e., typewriter days. Typesetting rules say single space after the period and the comma.
Paul C.T.
paulct
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby VCallario » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:55 am

I can't think of 5 right now, here are a couple...

Mumbling, then annoyingly saying "Forget it!" when people don't hear you.
People trying to enter an elevator when people IN the elevator haven't left yet.
People who can't decide on one radio/tv station, and constantly flip back and forth.
VCallario
New User
New User

Postby artmart » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:23 pm

Only 5 reasons? Those people need to get out more. Here's some more on top of what's being added:

People who walk their dogs in front of my house, then don't clean up after them.
Even more annoying... People who park in a handicapped spot, then leave their handicapped passenger in the car, and they go in by themselves. That's also illegal. As one who occassionally takes his disabled mother shopping for her needs, this one really makes me mad. If she decides to stay in the car, I don't park in disabled spots. Walking is good except when you're disabled then it's a hardship.

I don't know... Remotes were invented and controls were made easier to allow channel surfing. In the car, my wife does it all the time and I've learned to tolerate it, but get me in front of the TV and then we're even. (notice I didn't say The Wife, Xavier)

I agree with Paulct, not because it sounds right, but because it is right. It's a left over rule from the typing days, and with the advent of word processing only one space is now needed.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby paulct » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:12 pm

I forgot to add my top five, earlier today. Here they are :-)

- People Who Talk on a Cell Phone While at a Store Counter
- People who blame anything but themselves for THEIR failure
- Drivers who won't turn right on red
- People who can't complete a sentence without saying "you know"
- People merging onto a highway or interstate and fail to reach a merging speed causing havoc
Paul C.T.
paulct
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby Kevin_T » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:14 pm

Here you go. Not necessarily my top. but pretty annoying.

Websites with horizontal scrolling
People who will write something borderline mean, but then follow it up with a smiley face :)
People who brag about how trashed they got the night before
Failing to take a backpack into account when turning or backing into people
Incorrect use of apostrophe's
Kevin_T
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:44 pm

5 pet peeves is definitely way too few... there are probably over one million.

Kevin, I think I get your joke on the apostrophes is the fact that the apostrophe was not needed in your sentence. The apostrophe is especially being abused with "its" (possessive) versus "it's" (it is).
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Kevin_T » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:23 pm

Glad you got it. Yeah, "its and it's", "their and there", "there's and theirs", and so on. Bugs me like fingernails on a chalkboard :-)
Kevin_T
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:41 pm

Reminds me of another pet peeve.... People who knowingly do something knowing it bothers others a lot, like fingernails on the chalkboard as they glance at others in the process of watching them doing some major wincing.

Long ago, when working with the advent of audio being available for computers, some of the testing involved measuring and testing frequencies and sounds. During that process, we discovered the most horrendous high-pitched sound that drove most of us in the lab nuts. Afterwards we had a coworker that would run that frequency on purpose just to watch us squirm. The irony was that his hearing was so bad he couldn't hear it so he would just laugh at us and his clever pranking. We all wanted to pound him when he did that, but lucky for him he was a very tall and big guy. We punched in the speaker attached to his system and didn't tell him. He figured that out when we no longer squirmed. No problems after that.

Don't forget their and they're, your and you're.... there's lots of them where grammar is just messed up by the majority. How about larnyx and larynx (there is no such word or pronunciation as larnyx but it's said all the time - my wife still does this and she knows it drives me crazy and not in a good way)?
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Return to Miscellaneous Topics