[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Do you remember this?

Do you remember this?

For discussion on subjects that do not necessarily fit under any other category

Do you remember this?

Postby nicbot » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:57 pm

I was browsing a web site ans it had some pictures with the caption, "Do you remember this...?"

One of them was of particular interest to me so I am posting it below. Do you remember it?

8-track-tape.jpg
8-track-tape.jpg (20.83 KiB) Viewed 7360 times
nicbot
Active User
Active User

Re: Do you remember this?

Postby Cecil.Dowd » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:36 pm

Yes, I certainly do. You brought me back many years. I also remember this one. Does anyone else? Most homes had one a few decades ago.

1521284_10152214284519258_491135958_n.jpg
1521284_10152214284519258_491135958_n.jpg (17.26 KiB) Viewed 7355 times
Cecil.Dowd
Active User
Active User

Postby mrhagen » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:05 am

I definitely remember these. And I don't have to think too far back to also remember the first portable PC. 20+ youngsters probably think they are pre-historic, but these were cutting edge technology only about 30 years ago. With 512K RAM and two floppy drives at ~30 lbs, it was a joy to carry it through the airports on business travel ;-)

luggable.jpg
luggable.jpg (5.38 KiB) Viewed 7347 times
mrhagen
Senior User
Senior User

Postby FrankieV » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:06 pm

Wow, memories...

Who remembers the first cell phones? You looked so cool carrying one of these around, LoL.

images (4).jpg
images (4).jpg (6.66 KiB) Viewed 7344 times
FrankieV
Active User
Active User

Postby FrankieV » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:23 pm

Cecil.Dowd wrote:Yes, I certainly do. You brought me back many years. I also remember this one. Does anyone else? Most homes had one a few decades ago.

Cecil, I definitely remember it! I think it's still in the basement, I just couldn't bring myself to throw it out :-) I also remember the old floor TV we had in the family room, for many years. Didn't you have one of these in your house? And, it was working up until I decided to disconnect it (not sure how it might have worked today, with the digital signal).

FloorTv.jpg
FloorTv.jpg (7.48 KiB) Viewed 7344 times
FrankieV
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:22 pm

That's when TVs looked like furniture and needed two people to move them. An digital to analog converter could put that baby back in service for over-the-air antenna, and using it for satellite or cable, they do the D/A conversion so it's good to go. I remember when those were considered large screens! I one was of the morons who bought one of the largest glass tubes that were made (34") and now I'm too old to lift it (must weigh close to 100 lbs) to junk it when it's time. I think the largest glass screen was 36".
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Camper22 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:56 am

FrankieV wrote:Who remembers the first cell phones? You looked so cool carrying one of these around, LoL.

I definitely remember it, but that was a much newer model. I actually remember using one of these, 10 lb shoulder bag phone :-)

images (5).jpg
images (5).jpg (9.37 KiB) Viewed 7341 times
Camper22
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby Camper22 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:59 am

FrankieV wrote:
Cecil.Dowd wrote:Yes, I certainly do. You brought me back many years. I also remember this one. Does anyone else? Most homes had one a few decades ago.

Cecil, I definitely remember it! I think it's still in the basement, I just couldn't bring myself to throw it out :-) I also remember the old floor TV we had in the family room, for many years. Didn't you have one of these in your house? And, it was working up until I decided to disconnect it (not sure how it might have worked today, with the digital signal).
FrankieV, that's not all that old :-) How about this one? There was a similar one in my father's attic for years. I wish I hadn't thrown it out when we sold his house. It would have made an interesting furniture piece!

Rod Serling Set.jpg
Rod Serling Set.jpg (26.12 KiB) Viewed 7341 times
Camper22
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby mrhagen » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:34 am

Camper22, if that thing is still in the basement, in the condition it appears in the picture, it's probably worth lots of money! I was actually at a yard sale last month and someone was asking $75 for a "top-loading" vhs player (do you remember those?) We are talking 80's. So, something like what you have is definitely a big price item, in that condition! I'd look into it, if I were you.
mrhagen
Senior User
Senior User

Return to Miscellaneous Topics