[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Global Warming with 90% of USA below Freezing ?

Global Warming with 90% of USA below Freezing ?

For discussion on subjects that do not necessarily fit under any other category

Global Warming with 90% of USA below Freezing ?

Postby Christau99 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:13 am

With the recent deep freeze over most of the US, I wonder how this fits with the global warming claims over the past few years. It's interesting to read the various articles being published, where one side says this proves Global Warming is bullcr*p and the other side says this unusual cold winter precisely proves their point. How can it be both at the same time? :-)
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
Christau99
Active User
Active User

Re: Global Warming with 90% of USA below Freezing ?

Postby artmart » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:37 pm

Do an internet search on "Polar Vortex". Simply put, since the globe is warming, the Polar Ice Cap which is normally cold now encounters warmed up global air and if you are familiar with hurricanes, typhoons, tornados and things such as these you'll recall that when warmer air meets with colder air, this causes the Polar Vortex of high winds that will push the very cold Arctic winds away from the poles and into lower latitudes like the U.S. Northern states.

This implies that there is more the case of global warming than not. The arctic is not supposed to be warm. Whomever is writing what you are reading that this makes global warming imaginary, well then, you better start reading articles from more intelligent people. Those people probably still believe the world is flat, too (believe it or not, those types are still out there, too).

The world knows global warming is here. The naysayers are just being ignorant and in denial. And I believe it because in summer, I am mowing my lawn in 107 to 110 degrees when years ago it was 100 to 103. Your understand of weather patterns and the science of interactions is key. In college I took a few courses of this and while I am no expert, this information makes a lot of sense. I wish everyone would do this to understand this problem is more real than not.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Christau99 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:36 pm

artmart wrote: Whomever is writing what you are reading that this makes global warming imaginary, well then, you better start reading articles from more intelligent people.

I see. So, only the articles *you* read are written by intelligent people! Nice. I'll make an effort to only read things written by intelligent people form now on, as well - thanks.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
Christau99
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:19 am

Yup, first of all, that means everything I write can be ignored. There is another interesting scientific phenomenon that is starting to be discussed more and more and that's the earth's natural cyclic warming. It is alleged there was an ice age some millenium of years ago and that the Earth has been warming up since. Even if this is happening, many of the global warming theories are pointing out the us humans are hurrying up this phenomenon and that's the bad part - that we are hurrying things up. In my minute lifespan I won't notice. So what I was trying to get at is there are those that believe the Earth is warming anyway, but I believe we are hurrying it up. Many don't like to believe that last part.

When we think about it, temperature weather tracking is relatively knew (only about 100 to possibly 150 years old), and based on the averages over this time the trend is that we have been warming up and with our lifestyle technologies we might be warming things up even faster, but whatever is happening, I turn up the heat in the winter and the A/C in the summer and try to stay comfortable. One of these days, a real big earthquake will come and screw it all up anyway. Seems these shakers are starting to happen and not just in the West. That's wierd to hear about, but on this planet I'm too small to worry about it.

I also don't believe in the apocalypse or zombies either, but do I really know or care?
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby mrhagen » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:10 am

I am no climatologist, but the way that I understand it is that the "average" temperature of the earth has risen about a degree in the last ~50 years. That may not sound like a lot, but in the grand scheme of things it is. Most scientists don't dispute that. The disagreement comes in when some believe that it is due to human activity on earth while others believe that it is due to planetary/galactic effects and we, humans, have no effect on it.

That is *my* understanding. Yours may be different.
mrhagen
Senior User
Senior User

Postby artmart » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:21 pm

First, let's say that the only agreement we will ever have is that we disagree.

Now, then one must understand the term average. In order for an average to increase then high numbers have to be higher and the low number have to be higher too then they average out to something higher all around the planet. For the first time in recorded history, the Arctic ice cap is segmented and not just one big giant slab of ice. And Antarctica is melting away, too. I've heard the average temp. Using your own math, this increase translates to something severe.

Then let's throw in humans who are too smart for their own good and put chemicals or devices together that ADD to the problem. This is where most of the dispute is. I've been told first hand from some friends in China who are saying that their smog problem is SO bad, it's estimated that as many as 1 million people are dying from smog. Who caused that? The Elephants, monkeys or birds? Ummm, no, I don't think so, it was humans! And this is happening in a country who won't admit their problem (censureship, cost and ignorance) and they aren't worried about losing a million people in a country where the birth rate still exceeds that. They have plenty more people to replace the ones who died. While shocking to hear about, there's some sense to it.

How many chemicals have humans put together in combination to create environmental issues? How many of them were outlawed because of it? Just because youe neighborhood isn't seeing it, doesn't mean it's not bad somewhere else and it can take a while to discover the problem and the damage occurs until us humans fix it. My only saving grace is that my life span is so short in the scheme of things that I won't be around to experience the worst of it, but my grandkids will, and since they don't know what it was like in the good old days, they won't relate and they'll live in what they are left with. They can just make fun of the back-when days when we were more primitive (and lived safer).
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Return to Miscellaneous Topics