[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - What do you want to see in new version?

What do you want to see in new version?

Discussion and information about RV Plan 'N' Go 2013, the RV Trip Planning program from UnderTow

What do you want to see in new version?

Postby Christau99 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:09 am

I was talking to undertow's support and they are working on a new version. So, I figured, we may be able to influence what goes into this new version by accumulating a list of "things we'd like to see", here. Now, they may not listen to us, but we really have nothing to lose by trying :-

I would love to see the program have the bridge heights, so that it can avoid taking me through places that would damage my RV.

Anyone else? What would you like to see? Lat's make some noise and they might listen :-)
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
Christau99
Active User
Active User

Re: What do you want to see in new version?

Postby artmart » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:09 pm

It's been over a year since the 2013 version came out. I think it's a great idea that a list of new stuff be put together and put in a common topic, but don't expect it in this release. As over 30 years of computer engineering experience from me will tell you, the new version is probably almost "cooked" and it would be difficult to get anything in there, unless it's a bug or real easy to implement, so please don't expect it sooner than in a later release.

And please don't ask for ratings. :lol:
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Tinlizzie » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:39 pm

The old versions from Trailerlife had extensive information about the parks along with their ratings, etc. I would like to see that level of information brought back to the program. Some data was added to the 2013 version after its release, but there is still a lot out there that could be brought back.
Tinlizzie
New User
New User

Postby onAmission » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:36 pm

I want to see it calculate faster and yes, I wouldn't mind ratings.
onAmission
Active User
Active User

Postby Gregory45 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:22 pm

I don't really care for a new version. If they can keep updating the data and I can be downloading the updates as they become available (the way they've been doing it), I'm good with it. No desire to pay for a new version.
Gregory45
New User
New User

Postby dswhite1942 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:08 pm

Christau99 wrote:I was talking to undertow's support and they are working on a new version. So, I figured, we may be able to influence what goes into this new version by accumulating a list of "things we'd like to see", here. Now, they may not listen to us, but we really have nothing to lose by trying :-

I would love to see the program have the bridge heights, so that it can avoid taking me through places that would damage my RV.

Anyone else? What would you like to see? Lat's make some noise and they might listen :-)

I'd like to see them do away with the outdated "hold down the shift key & click the mouse" routine to open the drop down menu for working with a route. Most software now days allows the user to just right click the mouse to open drop down menus.
dswhite1942
New User
New User

Postby dswhite1942 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:24 pm

Gregory45 wrote:I don't really care for a new version. If they can keep updating the data and I can be downloading the updates as they become available (the way they've been doing it), I'm good with it. No desire to pay for a new version.

I would hope if a "new" version is going to be released it will be free to current users. When Undertow released their own version of this software (separate from Good Sam) there were a lot of errors and the campground data base was horrible. After a long wait the data is progressing but still a lot of the campgrounds don't have all the site information (I don't care about the ratings it's too subjective so of no use to me). We supported Undertow (kept their software rather than returning it) and are patiently waiting for them to fulfill their promises.
dswhite1942
New User
New User

Postby Gregory45 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:16 am

I'm in agreement, 100%.

We should get any new version for free, since they said they would be continuously updating the data.
Gregory45
New User
New User

Postby artmart » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:40 pm

Come on guys... let it go... every year that TLDCN or RTN came out and the partnership was with Trailer Life, it cost money because it included new features in and amongst the fixes and the minimal campground (and their subjective ratings) changes. There were periodic updates over the course of the year and those were free because those interim fixes were for updates and fixes which I agree should be but are not always free. Try upgrading your car to the latest stuff and tell us how free that was for you, oh and I'll want the dealer's address and phone number.

Why should UnderTow change from what it's been doing and most other companies are doing just because that's your opinion? Keep in mind an opinion is NOT an agreement to change anything and I'll agree that what UnderTow is doing is what most companies currently do. UnderTow's solo release got rid of the ratings (Trailer Life took them back, not Good Sam) and that, to me, was a feature change, and even then UnderTow has had free updated releases to add more campgrounds and their information and it's more complete than any release from them sponsored by Trailer Life minus the subjective ratings. And there were complaints that the updates took too long, were too big, but what do we want for free?

That horse has been dead for a while. Stop beating it. If wishes (or opinions) were fishes, we'd all cast nets.

And for you poor thinking souls who think UnderTow will provide free upgrades forever just because "they said so", please get another think going or you'll be sorely disappointed or do us a favor and go buy a competitor's product now (last I checked there isn't one as good yet for this low of price). I remember there was a limit to the upgrades (I think three) and UnderTow decides on what constitutes their three. Actually, I recall they are up to about 5 or 6 and this hasn't cost anything.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Camper22 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:30 pm

Art, I think you are wasting your breath. There are some people that believe they should get everything for free, as if they are somehow entitled to it. Can't blame them, it's this web mentality, of "whatever you need you can get on-line for free". They don't realize that there are hidden costs and in final analysis, they don't realize that the old adage "you get what you pay for" is more true today than ever ;-)
Camper22
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby Tinlizzie » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:54 pm

I hear some imply that the data base currently contained in the Undertow program is OK even though it does not contain ratings. The ratings are the least of it! There is a vast amount of objective data that has not been carried forward from TrailerLIfe. Clearly they owned the database and clearly it has not been made available to Undertow. It seems to me that much of the value of this program was this data about the individual campgrounds. The routing routines, while good, are not that special. It is this database that makes this a program for RVers, and if Undertow wants to serve this market they should address this issue. This may be beating a dead horse, but isn't this what makes this program special to us? I am more than willing to pay for annual updates as we did with TrailerLife, but it would be nice to get something special and useful.
Tinlizzie
New User
New User

Postby dswhite1942 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:06 am

The commitment Undertow made to its' users was to complete the information about each of campgrounds in its' data base. It still isn't finished. There are many many campgrounds that only have the latitude & longitude listed.
Perhaps I'm being naïve but I expect people & companies to keep their commitments. When that commitment is finished then enhancements should be charged for.
But hey, Art you're entitled to your opinion. Everybody has one.

David
dswhite1942
New User
New User

Postby artmart » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:43 am

dswhite1942, you are right. You are being naive. Most companies I know have changed their "commitments" at some time, due to any number of unforeseen circumstances. This doesn't mean no commitment has never been honored, but I'll only remain naive enough to know that not all commitments can be kept because they haven't. This is a fact I'm stating and not an opinion.

The other is even one you stated, that most companies will charge when an update includes "enhancements". Expect to pay, don't expect free. If free happens, then that's highly appreciated and quite lucky but don't demand it just because you saw this once from some company. Another fact, not opinion.

There's no doubt my over 30 years in the business have helped me try to describe facts about computer business operations when someone with an opinion as a demand. There's a huge difference when someone states an opinion and someone stating an opinion that needs to be made fact because they are thinking that way. On the otherhand the computer business has been shooting themselves in the foot by occassionally providing something free, then everyone expecting it all the time. Most other industries just don't do this and too many with distorted opinions don't get it. But it won't stop me from trying to explain the facts.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Tinlizzie » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:30 pm

I know that my avatar shows me as a "New User", but let me say that I have been using the TL program since it first came out, eagerly buying each year's upgrade Over that period, I have used this and other programs to plan trips literally all over North America. I repeat what I said before, the thing that makes this program unique for us is its database of campgrounds. I also use mapping programs (with routing routines) from Delorme and Garmin. Their routing routines are just as good and just as fast. They do not operate with a vast campground database as did the TL program, however. Undertow is attempting to catch up with their program, but they have a ways to go. For me, this is not about whether something is free or not, or what was committed to or merely mentioned. It is about how I can plan and manage trips for my family's enjoyment in our not inexpensive vehicle. I will gladly pay for a good program, or at least one as good as the one that we used to have. Let's let Undertow know that there is a market out there for such a program, and maybe they will produce it for us.
Tinlizzie
New User
New User

Return to RV Plan 'N' Go 2013