[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - What happened to the ratings?

What happened to the ratings?

Discussion and information about RV Plan 'N' Go 2013, the RV Trip Planning program from UnderTow

What happened to the ratings?

Postby onAmission » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:13 am

Park ratings were one of the most important pieces of information that earlier versions of the software had. What happened to them? Why did they disappear? Am I supposed to turn them ON with some option?
onAmission
Active User
Active User

Re: What happened to the ratings?

Postby artmart » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:28 pm

The park ratings went away with the company that used to provide them. The original products were produced by a combined effort from UnderTow Software (they write the programs and maintained the using the database) and Trailer Life gave them the database with the campground ratings. The current release of RVPNG2013 is the first attempt from UnderTow to continue to provide an RV-centric Trip Planner, but because Trailer Life owned the database, especially the rating information, UnderTow is no longer allowed to distribute it. It's about intellectual property and legal things like that. But campground information is publicly available so UnderTow includes their own database of these campgrounds and have added hundreds more (Trailer Life only included campgrounds and ratings for campgrounds they researched, and this left out many many others). So while UnderTow's database of campground is much more extensive, the ratings aren't there since Trailer Life controlled all that work and the arrangement is that UnderTow can not legally use them.

I don't know if UnderTow will ever provide ratings. There's argument that even Trailer Life's ratings were too subjective and any other rating systems just as subjective. We all have different values we use for ratings. Some people hate being around noisy railroad tracks or awful neighborhoods, but others don't mind because they sleep heavily and/or carry a big gun and prefer the cheap rates over the luxury of high costs at some RV Parks.

In the meantime, seek RV related forums, or Trailer Life and there's a chance there's a section to inquire for information like ratings. There's even a section in this forum that covers campground ratings but it's maintained by the forum members. But don't expect what you are looking for any longer from UnderTow. This is their current business decision and arrangement.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby onAmission » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:48 pm

Wow, well I think that just confirms what I was saying in another thread. I have been getting the program developed by undertow (as a consumer, I shouldn't have to care who it was developed for and under what terms and conditions) and the ratings were the best part of the program. This year I get the same program, from the same company and the ratings are gone. Art, your detailed explanation tells me what happened (thank you), but why should I as the consumer have to worry about that? I bought an upgrade to a product I have been buying for years and the most useful component (for me) is no longer there. That is just terrible!
onAmission
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:04 am

It should have only cost you $40 and I for one, find that what the others features provided are worth more than the $40. The database for me, has always been nice to review, but I never took it serious and I have been using Trailer Life versions since 2008. For others, the database was more important and they won't bother using the latest version from UnderTow and therefore it's your decision to make, but don't bag on a company where you bought a product recently not knowing it was gonna go bye-bye. This kind of thing has happened to many customers who bought BetaMax players, Edsels, and stock in many company that went away. I'm sure you can even come up with other examples. It happens. Things go obsolete and we will not be made aware of their "end-of-life" plans since many times these are hard to actually plan and are affected by conditions beyond their control.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Glenn.Tossi » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:18 pm

onAmission wrote:Wow, well I think that just confirms what I was saying in another thread. I have been getting the program developed by undertow (as a consumer, I shouldn't have to care who it was developed for and under what terms and conditions) and the ratings were the best part of the program. This year I get the same program, from the same company and the ratings are gone. Art, your detailed explanation tells me what happened (thank you), but why should I as the consumer have to worry about that? I bought an upgrade to a product I have been buying for years and the most useful component (for me) is no longer there. That is just terrible!

You seriously need to stop whining. What you are advocating makes no sense at all, and not just for software. I may not like certain parts of the software and I liked the old Trailer Life product better, but here are a few things for you to ponder.

- Nobody forced me to by the RVP2013 program. I liked the TL one, but TL discontinued it and I had a choice. Get nothing or get the RVP2013. I opted to get the RVP2013, it was my choice and mine alone.

- When I got it, I didn't like it and I called Undertow to find out what happened. They explained the situation to me and offered me a full refund (had 30 days to claim it), if I didn't like the program for any reason! I decided to keep the product, again, my decision. If you thought what the program had did not justify the $40, you could have returned it. Their 30-day money back policy is stated on their web site in large bold letters. BTW, if it hasn't been 30 days yet, you can still return it.

- After I saw your complaining, I checked the package, and even the email I had received telling me about the program. There was NOTHING that said it was an upgrade to any prior program. If you saw something that said that, it's a different story. As a matter of fact the emails went out of their way to explain that this program had nothing to do with Trailer Life. To be honest, originally I had thought it was an upgrade to, but that's what *I* just thought, nothing from the company said that, as far as I remember.

Look, I get frustrated with this product and other products and companies, etc. and I sometimes blame them for things (right, or wrong), but I've reading your writings in this and other threads and I think you just are way out on left field on this. Let it rest. Get on your rig and take a couple of weeks trip to relax. And, if this program frustrates you, don;t use it to plan this relaxing trip. Use whatever other tools you want.

Just stop whining ;-)
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
Glenn.Tossi
Casual User
Casual User

Return to RV Plan 'N' Go 2013