[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Want to be using with GPS

Want to be using with GPS

Discussion and information about RV Plan 'N' Go 2013, the RV Trip Planning program from UnderTow

Want to be using with GPS

Postby FTitus » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:57 pm

I have RVP2013 and it runs just fine in Windows 7. I also have an older, yellow puck Delorme GPS with a USB plug. Is it possible to use this GPS with the program? If not, can someone suggest another GPS that I could use?
FTitus
New User
New User

Re: Want to be using with GPS

Postby artmart » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:25 pm

You can start here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=337

This list is no means 100% complete nor that other GPS products could still work, but it's a start to try and answer your question. Knowing how to configure the device is the key! I don't believe there's a driver for the puck you describe so the problem is Windows, not RVPNG2013. It happens as hardware gets older.

I used an old handheld Garmin GPSMap 60Cx originally and now I use a much smaller GlobalSat BU-353-s4 puck style GPS as my antenna. They both work great other than some bugs that have been fixed. Keep in mind that the GPS used with this program is for passive tracking ONLY. It does not monitor what your position is against a trip that has been planned, but only shows your location against the map showing on your screen. You have to glance down at your screen to verify where you are located on the map against any route lines you may have active. Therefore it is NOT a navigation system, per se.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Camper22 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:15 am

FTitus, you didn't say which specific Delorme device you have, but if it is one of the LTs, you are probably out of luck. Those devices need a softwaree driver to work with programs other than those developed by Delorme. Unfortunately, the company (Delorme) stopped making these drivers for Windows 7 and later. So, you may need to get a different GPS unit.
Camper22
Frequent User
Frequent User

Postby onAmission » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:49 am

I had the same problem/question. I contacted Delorme and was told that they will not be making a device driver for those older GPS devices for Win7 and Win8. That is too bad, because those little yellow pucks worked like a charm. I don't understand how companies can do that! They sell you something, but then they don't support it. I guess that might be the way for them to sell you a newer device, I don't know. But, I think the government should regulate that and not let them get away with it.
onAmission
Active User
Active User

Postby Culturate » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:13 am

I am not sure I understand your argument, but if I do, it's silly. When you bought the device, you were probably running Win-98 or Win-XP, or something, and you bought a device that expressly worked with those OSes. If the device stopped working under *those* OSes, then you have a right to complain. However, if a new, different OS comes out ten years later, the expectation that the vendor who sold you the device 10 years ago is obligated to now make it work under this new OS, is at best absurd!

If they want to do it (and probably charge you to update it), that's fine, but why should they be obligated to? I have an old acoustic coupled 300 baud rate modem that I bought 30+ years ago, to communicate with a mainframe computer. Should I expect the company that made it to make sure it's still compatible with Windows 8? I think you can see the silliness of this argument.
Culturate
New User
New User

Postby artmart » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:37 pm

Wow, really? You want the government to regulate that? Our government? Are you not happy with how much they've screwed us over so far?

The puck worked like a charm back when this all started. The problem with it is that it was short-sighted in that it was old technology that was custom to only their application and would require too much support and that costs a company a lot of money that you or I don't want to pay. So bite the bullet and get the newer replacement products that are easier to support by GPS companies. DeLorme is a map company, not a GPS company. The product is no longer supported because DeLorme can't afford to and they know there are much better solutions than they can provide. Wow, and you want the government to make them spend lots of their money because us customers think we are right?

onAmission, you need to get a new mission. Culturate described it perfectly.

When I worked in Support, my saying was, "The customer is always right, but the customer isn't always smart".
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby Macaco » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:34 pm

Art, unfortunately, he sounds like the type of individual that no matter what you say, his mind is made up. He probably wants Microsoft to still support WIndows 3.1, seriously! There is no logic to that thinking, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. :(
Macaco
Active User
Active User

Postby onAmission » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:11 am

You know, I understand that many here do not agree with my opinion, but that does not invalidate it! My opinion still is that If I purchase a product, I should be able to use it until I decide not to use it anymore, not until when someone else decides to release a new operating system, at which point I can't use what I paid for. Is that so hard to understand?
onAmission
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:16 pm

And I'm saying your opinion may need some work and is why I'm stating facts and not an opinion. Then you can come up with a better different, more accurate opinion, such as, a company is allowed to "obsolete" any product they want to and most times it's for financial reasons, such as in this case, writing a new custom driver for each new operating system is too expensive especially when better, cheaper alternative that even THEY can recommend make it very replaceable. There have been lots of grand products invented that didn't take off and become profitable as desired. I still have two BetaMax VCRs and you won't find me bellyaching that Beta tape is not only hard to find, I don't even think it's being made.

Your type of opinion is why I've heard there's still some people in this world that believe the world is flat and anyone buying a globe is a moron. There's a huge difference between opinion and fact and we aren't close to knowing all the facts yet. I'm just trying to help you understand that your opinion, might be nice, but it is not progressive. I do enjoy my globe.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby onAmission » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:53 pm

I guess some opinions are better than others, if they agree with our thinking, right?

Anyway, I think we have beaten this horse to death. I know how you feel and you are not going to change my mind, so I guess we have to agree to disagree and leave it at that.
onAmission
Active User
Active User

Postby xavier » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:55 pm

Onamission, I usually don't agree with Art, but you are way off on this one. The world you are describing is not a real world. I am curious, what do you do for a living? That may explains your way of thinking.
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Postby FTitus » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:55 am

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I think I'll be buying one of the newer inexpensive puck GPS, which is compatible with the newer software.
FTitus
New User
New User

Return to RV Plan 'N' Go 2013