[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - Old Map of the Americas

Old Map of the Americas

A discussion area for users of RTN2012, TLDCN2011, TLDCN2010, TLDC2009, TLDCN2008, TLDCN2007 & TLDCN2006

Old Map of the Americas

Postby Cecil.Dowd » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:08 am

One of my hobbies is collecting old maps (paper, electronic, etc.). I think RV-ing, exploring, etc. come from my love of maps (or is it the other way around, idk). Anyway, I came across some interesting, old maps of the Americas and I thought others here may be interested, so I'm posting a small one here. If not interested, just ignore this message. If there is interest, I can post more :-)

Old_Americas_Map.jpg
Old_Americas_Map.jpg (77.11 KiB) Viewed 10023 times
Cecil.Dowd
Active User
Active User

Re: Old Map of the Americas

Postby JayWild » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:33 am

Cecil.Dowd, this is an interesting map, but this section is titled Trailer Life Navigator Programs! When I browse the messages in this section, I expect to see information and comments about these programs, not maps, or pictures of silly "make-believe" RVs. The admin may be well adviced to create a general section, where all sorts of this type of info can be posted for those interested.

I guess what I am saying is that your post is WAY OFF TOPIC, in this section of teh forums. My opinion.
JayWild
Casual User
Casual User

Postby Don Bryer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:46 am

JayWild wrote:I guess what I am saying is that your post is WAY OFF TOPIC, in this section of teh forums. My opinion.

What are you, the content police? If the post was not appropriate, then I'm sure the moderator would have stepped in, as he has done in prior occasions. Some of us don't mind seeing some "different" posts, which are still related to RV, Travel, etc. If you don't like them, don't read them. Skip them and go to teh next one.

You know, every forum I go to, has at least one person that decide they will be the enforcer. It's like the person doing 65 in the passing lane on the highway, with dozens of cars behind them, because that's the speed limit and they will enforce it. Get out of the way!!
Don Bryer
Active User
Active User

Postby cdimaggio » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:58 pm

I'm with you, Don. A post that's not about the trailer life navigator program, once in a while, and still within the overall topic, is refreshing.

I say, leave moderating to the moderators!
cdimaggio
Active User
Active User

Postby artmart » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:20 pm

We are all moderators and can ask for enforcement of a moderator. That said, I think all forum members should be equally considerate. This happens in ALL forums I belong to. Anyone knowingly posted something unrelated to the topic is being irresponsible - it's like calling 911 to ask where a store is located. I imagine that creating work for a moderator has to be a little frustrating for them, but they have to be nice, even to the inconsiderate.

Ask the moderator to create a "catchall" for you members who want to post whatever you want without regard to how the membership feels. This has been done with great success in the past and in other forums, including, "it's not gonna happen".

If you want refreshing go to Facebook, Google or Youtube. Otherwise ASK to go offtopic or create another topic. Don't be so presumptive just because you think freedom of speech belongs wherever you happen to be. I prefer freedom practices that do NOT interject into others' freedoms.

Just my thoughts...
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby cdimaggio » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:06 am

Art, I understand what you are saying, but I don't necessarily agree. I guess it's personal preference and the more I think about it, the more I wouldn't like the messages to be spread out dozens of specialized forums. I, like you probably, participate in a number of other forums, and I frequently see support forums for a product and they have a different forum for installations, one for hardware compatibility, one for bug reports, one for problem report and resolution, one for describing the operation in detail, etc. Unfortunately, when - for example, my installation fails, I don't know if it's because of a hardware incompatibility or operator error, or a bug in the program. So, I don;t know which forum I should be looking in! I usually end up looking through all the forums, anyway :-(

In any case, the moderator/administrator may decide to do what they want and if they decide to divide the board into dozens of forums and sub-forums, then so be it (after all they are providing this forum service to us for free). I'll have to get used to it, but don't have to like it :-)
cdimaggio
Active User
Active User

Postby JayWild » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:27 am

CDimaggio, what you are discussing has nothing to do what I complained about! The forum's title is "Trailer Life Navigator Programs (TLDCN & RTN)" a post about some interesting map, is totally off topic in this forum! Period. All the other justifications you bring up about multiple forums, are totally out of context.

Look, I don't want to make a federal case out of it. I thought that this was an improper post and I voiced my opinion. If the admin wants to act on it (or not), I'll be happy with their decision!
JayWild
Casual User
Casual User

Postby JJohnson » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:22 pm

I actually lie the fact that the moderator is pretty much invisible, on these forums. I like it a lot better than some other forums where moderators think they are the internet police and try to manage everything that gets posted. Freedom of speech, you know!
JJohnson
Casual User
Casual User

Postby xavier » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:40 am

JJohnson wrote:I actually lie the fact that the moderator is pretty much invisible, on these forums. I like it a lot better than some other forums where moderators think they are the internet police and try to manage everything that gets posted. Freedom of speech, you know!

Yeah, freedom of speech is good, but sometimes you need someone to keep order. I also like the fact that the moderator doesn't get involved, most of the time. I just want to know he/she is lurking fairly close so they can interfere, when needed :-)
RV-ing - The gateway to happiness...
xavier
Senior User
Senior User

Return to Older Trailer Life Navigator Programs (TLDCN & RTN)