[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
www.undertowsoftware.com • View topic - How to avoid driving through cities

How to avoid driving through cities

A discussion area for users of RTN2012, TLDCN2011, TLDCN2010, TLDC2009, TLDCN2008, TLDCN2007 & TLDCN2006

How to avoid driving through cities

Postby Tony20 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:53 am

Experienced with computers, but new to the navigator program. How do I tell it to avoid driving through major cities?
Tony20
Casual User
Casual User

Re: How to avoid driving through cities

Postby Cecil.Dowd » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:21 am

Tony20 wrote:Experienced with computers, but new to the navigator program. How do I tell it to avoid driving through major cities?

You can set an exclusion around each city you want to avoid, from the Plan a Trip menu. I don't think there is an option that says "avoid all major cities", or anything like that.
Cecil.Dowd
Active User
Active User

Postby Tony20 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:59 am

Thanks, I'll try that and see how it works out.
Tony20
Casual User
Casual User

Postby Tony20 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:08 am

I just wanted to report back that I tried the exclusions and it worked pretty good. I still wish there was a way to tell the program to avoid certain cities. May be in the new version ??
Tony20
Casual User
Casual User

Postby artmart » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:00 pm

Be careful what you wish for. If the program tries to set up what cities to avoid, how much of the city should be avoided? I live near the L.A./Orange County areas and trying to avoid cities would be a disastrous undertaking since the cities are so interspersed and of vastly different sizes and the overlaps would cause this feature to be worthless so one would have to specify too many cities to avoid and also risk excluding a road or byway that would suit the trip plan.

The current Exclusions feature allow users to select the area and simplify areas to avoid. Since you can select many areas this provides the needed flexibility and doesn't outguess what a user might want, since YOU picked it. I think if they ever put in a feature that removes a defined exclusion, this would add to the usability of this feature. Now one must delete them all and start over.

I think requesting that a city be avoided will not be enough to satisfy what you want and it might be more of a detriment to trip planning for many of us who don't know other HUGE metropolitan cities very well and some good routing gets excluded because of it. Then we'll go back to asking for a feature that the user be able to select an exclusion area, which already exists.

Thanks for listening.
Art Martinez
Murrieta, CA
artmart
Executive User
Executive User

Postby paulct » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:10 pm

Absolutely right, Art. "Avoiding a City" means different things to different people. To some it means "don't go anywhere near it" and to others "avoid driving through the center of the city". The way the software works now meets the needs of all different users. I like it!
Paul C.T.
paulct
Frequent User
Frequent User

Return to Older Trailer Life Navigator Programs (TLDCN & RTN)